Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 2 3

EikonError: Error code -1 | Port number was not identified.

I am trying to run the python eikon toolbox for the first time. I have set up the app_key and defined it as a variable in the jupyter notebook but I am getting an error.

EikonError: Error code -1 | Port number was not identified. Check if Eikon Desktop or Eikon API Proxy is running.

I have the Ikon desktop version running locally on the machine.

I cannot see how to control tor define the ports additionally can I run the python toolbox if I only have the web based version of Eikon running?

thx

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apijupyter-notebook
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@nikolas

Hello,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply.

This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@nikolas

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
7.6k 15 6 9

@nikolas

You must have eikon desktop running when you run a python script or use it from Jupyter notebook running on the same machine.

Can you try the instruction provided in this article to verify the setting?

https://developers.refinitiv.com/article/eikon-data-apipython-troubleshooting-refinitiv

Not sure what version of python and eikon data API you currently use.

There is a known issue with python 3.8, and you need to upgrade eikon data API lib to the latest one.

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/65399/eikoneikonerroreikonerror-error-code-1-port-number.html

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
7.6k 15 6 9

@nikolas

If you wish to run python code from the web version of eikon.
You can try the codebook. The following article describes how to use it. Note that you can run it on the desktop version as well.

https://developers.refinitiv.com/article/use-eikon-data-api-or-rdp-library-python-codebook-web-browser

You can just type codebk in eikon it will start codebook and shows the following screenshot.

codebook.png (179.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.