Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 1

Contract Expiry

Hello,

Why isn't the field "EXPIR_DATE" consistently available for futures contracts (expired or not)?

The following gives the field value only for the active (non-expired) contract:

dfe, _ = ek.get_data(['MZNH20^2', 'MZNH20', 'MZNH21'], 'EXPIR_DATE')
InstrumentEXPIR_DATE0MZNH20^2<NA>1MZNH20<NA>2MZNH212021-03-17
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apicommodities
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @r0k3

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
78.8k 250 52 74

@r0k3

As mentioned by my colleague, those RICs are expired or invalid so their data may not be available via the get_data method. You need to contact Refinitiv Content Helpdesk to confirm it.

However, I have tried to use other APIs to retrieve the expiration date for MZNH20^2 and found that DSS REST API can return this information.

For more information about DSS REST API, please refer to this page.

1603338706113.png (42.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Expired or invalid :)

Are the symbols of expired contracts "invalid". Why?

I have put both the original symbol (MZNH20) and the expired version of it (MZNH20^2) so we can see the difference.

Why shouldn't one be able to get data items for a contract that was live a day ago but not today (after expiry) ? Although you show now you can get it but from a different API.

I am confused. Not sure what to do - ask my company to buy a new API access?

@r0k3

Sorry about that.

First, you need to directly contact Eikon Excel support team via MyRefinitiv to verify if it is possible to retrieve an expiration date for <MZNH20> or <MZNH20^2> via the TR excel function.

If yes, we can apply it to the get_data method in Eikon Data API to retrieve the same information.

If not, please contact your local Refinitv Sales team for alternative methods.

1603683120464.png (15.2 KiB)

Thank you,

I can confirm the data is not available in excel neither:

1603889302779.png (7.4 KiB)
Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @r0k3

Seems that MZNH20^2 and MZNH20 are not valid RIC.

If you still have further questions regarding content.

Please contact Refinitiv Content Helpdesk at https://my.refinitiv.com

ahs.png (15.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.