Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
12 4 3 3

What is the difference between the fields "date" and "Calc date"

When requesting the data for Market Cap of some assets, I am seeing some differences between the two fields (date and Calc date). What exactly means each of the fields?

The code I used is shown bellow:

data = ek.get_data(assets,

['TR.CompanyMarketCap',

'TR.CompanyMarketCap.date',

'TR.CompanyMarketCap.calcdate'],

{'SDate':startDate.strftime("%Y%m%d"),

'EDate':endDate.strftime("%Y%m%d")})

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapifundamentals
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
10.1k 18 6 9

@fidel.esteves The companies you have shown are all delisted. I suspect that in this case the Date field is used to represent the last date where there was a record of market cap. This seems to align with the delisted RICs for example VASC.OQ^B17 - the 17 represents the year of delisting. Its the same in all of the examples you showed us. In this case there is a situation where the company was delisted but still active (VASC.OQ^B17). So the field to be aware of is the Date field which correctly states the last price entry on 17-Feb-2017 (the last date for which we had a price). You can check this on the chart.

Now there may be some reason why a further calculation was done on a date after it had delisted - perhaps something to do with administration process, some dilution or change in capital structure due to a takeover or something similar. I think in this case the company was taken over by a company called Teleflex on 17-Feb-2017. So the shares were bought by that company and something might have happened under the new ownership - though the shares themselves are not longer listed or traded. However, the market cap calculation should not change, and i'm speculating here, it might be a change in shares outstanding but with no new (market) price. This is really a content question and can get into some detail as the story with each company may be quite different.

Just to clarify Jonathan's comment, all listed companies will have a market cap number - based on their shares outstanding and the current (or in the case of illiquid securities - the most recent) shareprice. I believe this is the main difference between the two output values 'calc date' and 'date'. So in the case of daily series the most recent market cap would be reported - however if the company was illiquid and hadn't traded for a few days - you might want to know the date of the last calculation (ie when there was a price traded) - that would be the calc date. In the case of delisted companies this is more complicated as I have alluded to above. I think its best to raise a content query with the helpdesk (Helios Menu ==> Contact Us) as they will be able to provide you with a definitive reason or logic for delisted issues you are following. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
5.5k 21 2 6

Hi @fidel

Would you be so kind as to provide an example RIC where the two dates are different? They don't have to be the actual ones you noticed the issue for, just any example you found.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
12 4 3 3

@jonathan.legrand Thanks for the response. Here are some examples:

A important note is that in most of the instances the two fields are the same.

1604939850939.png (34.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
5.5k 21 2 6

Hi @fidel.e

Thank you for the information provided.
When we say calculation date that is the latest reported available estimate of a company. Then for the date, that is the latest date associated with the returned data.

FYI: There isn't always a difference between 'date' and 'calc date' that is within the field TR.CompanyMarketCap since

• The market cap is not available for UK, US, and other markets, as the shares outstanding are updated from sources, such as annual reports, press releases, etc.

• The market cap field is available only for very few regions, such as Hong Kong, Japan, etc. These are the markets from which we receive shares outstanding directly from the exchange feed. We have two fields to display the market cap, FID 2150 (MKT_VALUE) and FID 2744 (MKT_CAP). Once the exchange sends shares outstanding, it gets multiplied with the share price available under the quote section. Hence, the market cap is calculated automatically and displayed under FID 2150 (MKT_VALUE) for Japanese and FID 2744 (MKT_CAP) for Hong Kong stocks.

Does that answer your question?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
12 4 3 3

@jonathan.legrand Just to confirm... That means that if the market cap was released in 2017-02-17, but there were further adjustments in 2019-01-15, the "Date" gets 2017-02-17 and "Calc Date" gets 2019-01-15, right?

So, in the majority of data, where the two fields are the same, there is no further adjustments after release?!

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
12 4 3 3

FYI: I am retrieving historical values of market cap for REFINITIV UNITED STATES PRICE RETURN INDEX constituents. It seems to return coherent data.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.