Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

Return formula from day x to day y

Dear Friends,

I am building an excel database, where I have the date of IPO of more than 1000+ companies and I am interested to find the return after 365 days from the initial public offering. Example what's the stock return of company x which has IPO on the 1st of january 2015 to january 2016.

This is what I am building. if anyone could give me a formula, that would be amazing!!!

thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiformula-builder
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@user.eikon4

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply that best answers your question. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

If you're looking for a price return, you need the closing price on the date of the IPO and on the date a year after. E.g.

=100*TR("FB.O","TR.PriceClose","SDate:18-May-2013")/TR("FB.O","TR.PriceClose","SDate:18-May-2012")-100

Facebook stock lost 31.34% in the first year since IPO.
If you're looking for a total return, you can use

=TR("FB.O","TR.TotalReturn","SDate=18-May-2012 EDate=18-May-2013")

In case of Facebook the result is the same, since the company hasn't been paying dividends since it went public.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Ok I have tried with the 2nd formula you gave. However, I am getting "NULL".

=@TR($C$4,"TR.TotalReturn","SDate=#1 EDate=#2",,$F$4,$H$4)

$C$4= ticker

$F$4=start date

$H$4=end date

how can i solve this issue?

What are the values of ticker, start date and end date? To tell why a function returns a certain value one needs to know the exact inputs.

The ticker I have placed are RIC, start date and end date are in date format in Excel.

Example:

RIC= CWBR.OQ

IPO DATE= 06/01/2015 (dd/mm/yyyy)

END DATE= 06/01/2016

Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.