For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
28 6 6 5

Establish a websocket connection and set headers?

Hello, I am using R software and struggling to make a websocket connection. The initial source for my websocket connection is here https://github.com/rstudio/websocket The codes, which I want to repicate ar here https://github.com/Refinitiv/websocket-api/blob/master/Applications/Examples/R/market_price_authentication.R

websocket function in github is old one and seems not to work.

header_entry = list(name="Cookie", value=paste("AuthToken=", auth_token, ";AuthPosition=", position, ";applicationId=", app_id,";", sep=""))
#header_entry_new = list(Domain="Login",ID=1, Key=list(Elements=list(ApplicationId=app_id,AuthenticationToken=auth_token,
Position=paste(position,"/S24533",sep = "")),NameType="AuthnToken"))
#header_entry_new<-jsonlite::toJSON(header_entry_new)
#header_entry_new<-gsub("\\[|\\]","",header_entry_new)
headers_list = list(header_entry)

ws <- WebSocket$new("wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket", headers =header_entry)

By using wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket and header_entry_new (in header) I tried to replicate following command in Python. I also tried in R to use only wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com (+ headers =header_entry, port=443) and multiple different combinations, because in the github code :443/WebSocket part is neglected. However I got an error message saying that Error in .subset2(public_bind_env, "initialize")(...) : unused arguments (headers = list("Cookie" .....

Connecting to WebSocket wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket ...
WebSocket successfully connected!
SENT:
{
  "Domain":"Login",
  "ID":1,
  "Key":{
    "Elements":{
      "ApplicationId":"256",
      "AuthenticationToken":"XXXXX",
      "Position":"172.17.57.17/S24533"
    },
    "NameType":"AuthnToken"
  }
}

What else can I change to establish a connection? (Authentication token I could retrieve)

elektron-sdktreprdp-apiwebsocketsrrtor
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
78.2k 246 52 72

@g.suhharukov

I have tested it with R-4.0.3. It can send an item request properly. It looks like that there is a problem with the SEND_REQUEST flag.

Got Message [{"ID":1,"Type":"Refresh","Domain":"Login","Key":{"Name":"xxx","Elements":{"AllowSuspectData":1,"ApplicationId":"256","ApplicationName":"ADS","AuthenticationErrorCode":0,"AuthenticationErrorText":{"Type":"AsciiString","Data":null},"AuthenticationTTReissue":1605263502,"Position":"192.168.56.1","ProvidePermissionExpressions":1,"ProvidePermissionProfile":0,"SingleOpen":1,"SupportEnhancedSymbolList":1,"SupportOMMPost":1,"SupportPauseResume":0,"SupportStandby":0,"SupportBatchRequests":7,"SupportViewRequests":1,"SupportOptimizedPauseResume":0}},"State":{"Stream":"Open","Data":"Ok","Text":"Login accepted by host ads-premium-az1-blue-15-main-prd.euw1-az1."},"Elements":{"PingTimeout":30,"MaxMsgSize":61430}}]
Single Message
### Check Message:  Refresh Login FALSE
{"ID":2,"Key":{"Name":"TRI.N"},"View":["BID","ASK"]}
Got Message [{"ID":2,"Type":"Status","Key":{"Service":"ELEKTRON_DD","Name":"TRI.N"},"State":{"Stream":"Closed","Data":"Suspect","Code":"NotEntitled","Text":"Access Denied: User req to PE(6562)"}}]

You may try to change = to <- at the beginning.

REFINITIV_API_URL <- "https://api.refinitiv.com/"
OAUTH2_TOKEN_URL <- paste(REFINITIV_API_URL, "auth/oauth2/v1/token", sep="")
RELOGIN_INTERVAL <- 250
NEXT_RELOGIN_TIME <- Sys.time()
SEND_REQUEST <- FALSE

If it is still not working, please remove your credentials from the example code, and then share the source file.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Yes, now I got the same output as you and not getting the prices ("Text":"Access Denied: User req to PE(526))

It means the credential doesn't have permission to access that item. You need to contact your Refinitiv account team or sales team to verify it.

You can try JPY=.

Yes, I got trial version , which does not support JPY, however TRI.N does. and the message is following (sam as yours) with no price output

"Text":"Access Denied: User req to PE(6562)"
Show more comments
Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @g.suhharukov,

I would approach this via Python first, let me explain:

For Python integration, you can follow Quick Start - Connecting to Elektron Real Time in Cloud tutorial, step by step.

Once you have completed it and verify by observing the streaming market data, next, would move on to R, and at this point integrating in R using this example should be more straightforward, you will be able to proceed by analogy with Python quickstart, but analogous, in R.

While running quickstart, you will also be able to verify that machineId, password and clientId combination you are passing as parameters is valid, for the streaming ERT request.

icon clock
10 |1500

@zoya.farberov Thank you for reply. I already connected via Python and got the answer from the server, thereafter I moved to the next step - apply R. In R I also succeeded in getting an authentication token (using all necessary information: machine ID, password...). However, the key problem is that I cannot/do not know how connect to the websocket server using different websocket function in R.

Hello @g.suhharukov,

Just to confirm, when you say you got the answer from the server in python- you mean that you have received a token, or you also see the streaming market data?

I got both of them.
Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @g.suhharukov,

Just an idea rather then the ready answer.

There are two working Python examples:

Quickstart for TREP -> Python and Quickstart = Try it out for ERT

One implements websocket to deployed infra = TREP, another is websocket to ERT in cloud, what you are looking to implement in R.

market_price_edpgw_authentication.R is example that also targets deployed infra, TREP. Websockets in the example are old, but still should be working. This example is analogous to the former, the deployed example.

The differences in handling between the two python examples, makret_price_authentication.py and market_price_edpgw_authentication.py is essentially what you have to modify in market_price_authentication.R to arrive at market_price_edpgw_authentication.R. Do you see?

For instance, I am noticing that websocket.WebSocketApp for ERT does not pass any cookies. This can potentially be what is specifically causing the issue.

Hope this helps

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
78.2k 246 52 72

@g.suhharukov

Please try the attached code. I installed both:

• install_github("rstudio/websocket")
  • install_github("rstudio/httpuv")

You need to specify username, password, and clientid in the code.

USERNAME <- "username"
PASSWORD <- "password"
CLIENTID <- "clientid"

Then, run it with RScript. websocket.R.txt

websocketr.txt (3.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

@jirapongse.phuriphanvichai

Thank you for the provided code, it is very helpful. I got the authentication token. However, as before, when I run following line

ws <- WebSocket$new("wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket", protocol="tr_json2", autoConnect = FALSE)

Error in .subset2(public_bind_env, "initialize")(...) : 
  unused arguments (protocol = "tr_json2", autoConnect = FALSE)

The same error appears every time. Do not know how avoid it.

Add the sessioInfo() before creating a WebSocket.

ACCESS_TOKEN = get_access_token()
sessionInfo()
ws <- WebSocket$new("wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket", protocol="tr_json2", autoConnect = FALSE)

Please share the output:

R version 3.6.3 (2020-02-29)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 18363)

Matrix products: default

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base

other attached packages:
[1] httr_1.4.2           jsonlite_1.7.1       websocket_1.3.1.9000

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):
[1] compiler_3.6.3 R6_2.5.0       later_1.1.0.1  curl_4.3       Rcpp_1.0.5
[6] rlang_0.4.8

I added an output below in the answers, because in comments characters limits are exceeded

Upvotes
28 6 6 5

Here is the output

> ACCESS_TOKEN = get_access_token() 
get_access_token 
> sessionInfo() 
R version 4.0.3 (2020-10-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit) 
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 18363) 
Matrix products: default 

locale: [1] LC_COLLATE=Estonian_Estonia.1257  LC_CTYPE=Estonian_Estonia.1257    LC_MONETARY=Estonian_Estonia.1257 LC_NUMERIC=C                      [5] LC_TIME=Estonian_Estonia.1257     

attached base packages: [1] grid      stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods   base      

other attached packages:  [1] httr_1.4.2       httpuv_1.5.4     websocket_1.3.1  gridExtra_2.3    scales_1.1.1     ggthemes_4.2.0   reshape2_1.4.4   xlsx_0.6.4.2     RCurl_1.98-1.2   [10] XML_3.99-0.5     ggplot2_3.3.2    shiny_1.5.0      dplyr_1.0.2      GetoptLong_1.0.4 curl_4.3         jsonlite_1.7.1   websockets_1.1.7 

loaded via a namespace (and not attached):  [1] Rcpp_1.0.5          prettyunits_1.1.1   xlsxjars_0.6.1      ps_1.4.0            assertthat_0.2.1    rprojroot_1.3-2     digest_0.6.27        [8] mime_0.9            R6_2.4.1            plyr_1.8.6          backports_1.1.10    pillar_1.4.6        GlobalOptions_0.1.2 rlang_0.4.8         [15] rstudioapi_0.11     callr_3.5.1         labeling_0.4.2      desc_1.2.0          devtools_2.3.2      stringr_1.4.0       munsell_0.5.0       [22] compiler_4.0.3      pkgconfig_2.0.3     pkgbuild_1.1.0      htmltools_0.5.0     tidyselect_1.1.0    tibble_3.0.4        fansi_0.4.1         [29] crayon_1.3.4        withr_2.3.0         later_1.1.0.1       bitops_1.0-6        xtable_1.8-4        gtable_0.3.0        lifecycle_0.2.0     [36] magrittr_1.5        cli_2.1.0           stringi_1.5.3       farver_2.0.3        fs_1.5.0            promises_1.1.1      remotes_2.2.0       [43] testthat_2.3.2      ellipsis_0.3.1      generics_0.0.2      vctrs_0.3.4         rjson_0.2.20        tools_4.0.3         glue_1.4.2          [50] purrr_0.3.4         rsconnect_0.8.16    processx_3.4.4      pkgload_1.1.0       fastmap_1.0.1       colorspace_1.4-1    caTools_1.18.0      [57] sessioninfo_1.1.1   memoise_1.1.0       rJava_0.9-13        usethis_1.6.3       

> ws <- WebSocket$new("wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket", protocol="tr_json2", autoConnect = FALSE) 
Error in .subset2(public_bind_env, "initialize")(...) :    unused arguments (protocol = "tr_json2", autoConnect = FALSE) 
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
78.2k 246 52 72

@g.suhharukov

I assume that it may conflict with the httpuv library.

I got the same error when using the httpuv library.

The workaround is using websocket::WebSocket$new instead.

> ws <- websocket::WebSocket$new("wss://emea-1.pricing.streaming.edp.thomsonreuters.com:443/WebSocket", protocol="tr_json2", autoConnect = FALSE)
> 

1605239553805.png (21.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Yes, the problem was in this aspect. Do you know why I do not get prices and other indexes from the server? I only changed

mp_req_json_string = "{\"ID\":2,\"Key\":{\"Name\":\"TRI.N\"}}"

When I run the whole script the following output I got

get_access_token
send login request
Got Message [{"ID":1,"Type":"Refresh","Domain":"Login","Key" ....

Single Message
Got Message [{"Type":"Ping"}]
Single Message
send pong
Got Message [{"Type":"Ping"}] .....

And it continues Ping-Pong until a new Auth. token is obtained. However, send_market_price_request(ws) is not run. Seems that server does not send message_domain == "Login". Do you know how to get prices?

Does it work with "JPY="? Have you seen this kind of message?

Got Message [{"ID":2,"Type":"Status","Key":{"Service":"ELEKTRON_DD","Name":"TRI.N"},"State":{"Stream":"Closed","Data":"Suspect","Code":"NotEntitled","Text":"Access Denied: User req to PE(6562)"}}]

No, I tried for JPY and only "Got Message" is following

Got Message [{"ID":1,"Type":"Refresh","Domain":"Login","Key"

same as for TRI.N

In python code I got

"Position":"172.17.57.17/S24533"

So I also changed in R position<-"172.17.57.17" , However, the same output.

Show more comments

@g.suhharukov

The value of SEND_REQUEST should be FALSE.

RELOGIN_INTERVAL = 250
NEXT_RELOGIN_TIME = Sys.time()
SEND_REQUEST=FALSE

It is set at the beginning of the example.

Can you verify it?

Yes, it is. I used the same file as you sent above

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.