question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 3 3 3

Is there a VBA Eikon function available to force the Sign in and out ?

eikoneikon-com-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @christophe.dumont

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Eikon Excel Synchronization Manager COM library gives you more options and control over handling connectivity to Eikon platform, but if you're just looking for a simple command to initiate the sign-in you can use

Application.Run "PLLoginEventHandler"
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

See the tutorial on Eikon Excel Synchronization Manager COM library.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 3 3

Hi Alex, I was expecting an off the shelf function thinking it's actually called when explicitly clicking on the Eikon sign in/out button/icon in the topbar menu

christophe

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 3 3

Thanks Alex - would you have the same for Sign out ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

I don't believe it's possible to sign out using VBA. But depending on the use case, perhaps there are other ways to achieve what you're looking for. E.g. you can easily unload Eikon Excel COM add-in:

Application.COMAddIns("PowerlinkCOMAddIn.COMAddIn").Connect = False

What's your use case? In other words, why do you need to sign out? What exactly are you looking to achieve with it?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 3 3

Similarly to Application.Run "PLLoginEventHandler" that signs-in like the Sign In action using the top bar menu sign in TR button, I'd like to perform a sign out action with a VBA code.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 3 3

I want to make sure that my application signs out after the refresh is done to avoid any involuntary data refresh

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 3 3

btw, Application.COMAddIns("PowerlinkCOMAddIn.COMAddIn").Connect = False remove the Eikon Add-In from the Excel options, and this is not want I want. I tried and I had to put it back using Application.COMAddIns("PowerlinkCOMAddIn.COMAddIn").Connect = True

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

The sign out action is not exposed through VBA. There are numerous alternatives you can use to preserve the data you retrieved. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on the larger context of your use case.

• Copy the data retrieved to a range where it cannot be overwritten by Eikon Excel functions. You can use MACRO keyword in =TR function to launch the macro that will copy the data retrieved to another range.
  • Switch Excel to manual calc mode. Eikon Excel functions do not automatically update when Excel is in manual calc mode.
  • Pause Updates button in Eikon Excel ribbon puts Eikon Excel in the state where Eikon Excel functions are not updated unless a refresh is requested. These capabilities are exposed to VBA through Eikon Excel Synchronization Manager COM library. You may also find the following previous thread useful.
    https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/11768/can-i-control-eikon-excel-addin-for-refresh-a-work.html
  • Unloading Eikon Excel COM add-in is a sure way to guarantee Eikon Excel functions won't be able to retrieve any data. To restore the add-in through GUI you can go to Excel Options, select Add-ins, Manage: COM Add-ins, click Go and tick the checkbox against "Refinitiv Eikon - Microsoft Office". Alternatively you can run "Refinitiv Eikon - Microsoft Office" from the shortcut in Windows Start Menu.
  • You can retrieve data using Eikon COM APIs in VBA. This way you won't need any worksheet functions and you can be in complete control over how you refresh the data.
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 3 3

Alex, it's really unfortunate there's no such VBA signout function - As there's a sign in function, I really was expecting the same for sign out. Some of the users I work with are not at all excel expert (actually basic users) and having such signout function that is automatically called based on some specific trigger would make the implementation more handy and robust.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.