Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 1

Do I need to have Eikon installed to retrieve data via API using Python and refinitiv.dataplatform?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @jaroslaw.franecki,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Yes. You either need to have Eikon / Refinitiv Workspace desktop application installed, running and logged in on the same machine where you run your code utilizing RDP Library (refinitiv.dataplatform package), or, if you're creating enterprise applications, you need to have machine credentials for RDP (Refinitiv Data Platform).

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 1 1

How can I get machine credentials for RDP (Refinitiv Data Platform)?

I have user account to connect to Eikon and I have user ID (and password) to DataScope.

Are machine credentials for RDP something different ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

Yes, machine credentials for RDP are something different. Speak with your Refinitiv account manager and discuss your use case. If you decide that you need machine credentials for RDP, your Refinitiv account manager can procure them for you.

With Eikon credentials you get a single user license. Data retrieved using these credentials must be utilized for individual user's use only. And you need to have Eikon running. If you're looking to retrieve data from RDP into an enterprise application, you need machine credentials for RDP. Mind that the datasets currently available for retrieval from RDP using Eikon and machine credentials are not the same. This is one reason I advise you to discuss your use case with your Refinitiv account manager, who can help you select Refinitiv service best suited for your use case.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @jaroslaw.franecki

It is depending on your current environment and which access point you want to get data from..

The Refinitiv Data Platform library (refinitiv.dataplatform) lets you consume data from the following platforms

1. Desktop - Eikon and the new Refinitiv Workspace
  2. Cloud-based - Refinitiv Data Platform
  3. Deployed - deployed or managed Refinitiv Real-Time infrastructure (formerly known as TREP)

The need for credentials (Eikon, RDP or Machine ID) of each endpoint is based on my colleague's posts above.

3accesspoints-1.png (88.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.