Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
25 2 3 4

Field descriptions

Hello,

Is it possible to pull the field Descriptions when using the EIKON data API? I am using the ek.get_data() function.

Thank you.

Best,

David

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @dpi.eco,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is one of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvote
Accepted
3.8k 4 4 6

Hi @dpi.eco

I think that you may try a TR. field name with the suffix ".description" to get the same result as in the DIB tool.

df, err = ek.get_data('VOD.L',['TR.PriceClose','TR.PriceClose.description'])
df
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@marcin.bunkowski that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much!

Best,

David

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@dpi.eco The Eikon Data API does not deliver metadata such as field descriptions via API. The best way to discover information about fields (and their parameters) is by using the Data Item Browser app (type DIB into eikon search bar).

I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

I stand corrected - please look at Marcin's answer below!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.