Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
37 1 3 3

Where can i find the eikon_win.yml file for creating an eikon envirnoment?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@Moody.Sultan

I suggest taking a step back. What is it that you're looking to accomplish? Are you looking to be able to run Jupyter notebooks in Dr. Hilpisch's tutorials? Or are you looking to use Dr. Hilpisch's code samples to create new applications or scripts?

eikon_win.yml file helps to create a conda environment where you can run Jupyter notebooks from Dr. Hilpisch's tutorials. This environment would be outdated in the sense that at this time there are more recent versions of most if not all libraries comprising the environment. The whole point of creating a conda environment is to fix the set of libraries your code (or in this case Dr Hilpisch's code) was tested against, and preserve it. The most recent versions of the libraries are not guaranteed to be compatible. And the notebooks in the tutorials may not work with most recent versions of the libraries.
If you create and activate the environment using eikon_win.yml file, the expectation is that Dr. Hilpisch's notebooks should run without problems. Can you confirm that you activated the environment provided in eikon_win.yml using "conda activate eikon" command? If yes, what are the modules that you find missing when running the symbology notebook?

If you're looking to use Dr. Hilpisch's code samples to create new applications or scripts, the environment provided in eikon_win.yml is not necessarily optimal. As I mentioned earlier, there are newer versions of most of the libraries utilized by Dr. Hilpisch. Rather than recreating the antiquated environment where Dr. Hilpisch's code is expected to execute without problems, you'd be better off using the environment with most recent versions of the libraries and modifying Dr. Hilpisch's samples as needed. Most of the code will likely run without modification, but some may need updating.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

Getting started on Windows tutorial references Jupyter notebook on Github, and eikon_win.yml file mentioned there can be downloaded from the same repository on Github:
https://github.com/yhilpisch/eikondataapi/tree/master/assets

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
37 1 3 3

Hi Alex, many thanks for this. After using the eikon_win.yml, it seems to be outdated. I ran the symbogoly jupyter from the list and have missing modules. Is there any updated YML file?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
37 1 3 3

Hi Alex, thank you for your approach here. I would just like to replicate Dr Hilipischs tutorials on my own jupyter notebook, environments are up and running and the notebook is connected to the API and able to gather data. However you right, it is just what I need to do. I guess ill only need the environments for my own analysis. Thank you Alex for your kind answer.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.