question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

How to get the volume of Bitcoin in python API?

rdp-apirefinitiv-data-platformbitcoin
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @thomas.kwong,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is one of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

@thomas.kwong

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@thomas.kwong

RIC BTC= represents composite quote for Bitcoin. In other words it's a quote aggregated from multiple contributors and trading venues. While a composite quote provides the best representation of asset's price, it cannot provide meaningful representation of trading volume. The only way to get a meaningful representation of trading volume is to take the RIC that represents a quote from a specific trading value, e.g. BTC=BTSP for Bitcoin traded on Bitstamp crypto exchange. Try

ek.get_timeseries('BTC=BTSP')

or

rdp.get_historical_price_summaries('BTC=BTSP',
                                   fields=['TRDPRC_1','ACVOL_UNS'])
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @thomas.kwong

I think BTC= is in FX asset type?

So I tried to retrieve all available fields on historical data and it does not contain the "volume" field (only the "NUM_BIDS" field)

Same data behavior as other FX, EUR= in this sample.

ahs1.png (79.9 KiB)
ahs2.png (54.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.7k 54 17 14

Hello @thomas.kwong

The other Python API that might suites you is the Eikon Data API. You can request BitCoin (BTC=) from the Refinitiv platform via your Refinitiv Workspace/Eikon application.

Hope this helps.

ahs.png (14.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

How to get the time series data?

Upvotes
24.7k 54 17 14

Hello @thomas.kwong

Sorry for my mistake, the CF_VOLUME field value for the FX items seems to not be the "Volume" that you are expecting. I strongly suggest you contact the Content Support team via the https://my.refinitiv.com/ website to help you verify the instrument and fields that match your requirement.

Please note that the Eikon Data API has a get_timeseries function that returns historical data for consumers. However, it does not provide the volume fields too, so I suggest you contact the Content team via the suggested website above.

get-timeseries.png (39.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.