question

Upvotes
Accepted
21 1 2 4

Redi - C# library based on Framework from 2002!

The dotnet library for Redi is targeting runtime v2.0.50727 / x86 and framework v3.5 (circa 2002!)

Being 32 bit, and against the framework, it prevents ANY application using it from being written in .net core (which is the direction for all dotnet development going forward since 5+ years ago)

Is there an update or anything for this code?

Does anyone actually work on it, or is it a dead product left to be milked until everyone stops using it?

I'd dream for a nuget package with a modern 64bit compile , but I'd settle for anything .net core compatible at this point..

.netredi-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @peter.drier,

I have just tested the tutorial Getting started in C# + REDI Console Orders example, with one, noted exception (step 1):

1. Create Console App .Net Core project (I test on VS 2019 and have .Net Core library installed).

2. Add reference to REDI library as described in the tutorial

3. Remove placeholder Program.cs and add instead Order.cs and RediConsoleOrders.cs files into the project

4. Build and test the project.

Please note, that the example will only run on the same machine where your REDIPlus desktop is running.

Let us know, if this information is helpful to you.

netcoreproject.gif (26.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @peter.drier,

I build and test REDI examples with .NET framework 4.5, on VS 2019.

Additionally, we will refer your feedback for investigation, and would like to get back to you here,

Thanks for your patience,

-AHS

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
21 1 2 4

Ok yes, you can use Redi with VS 2019, but not if I set it to build a .net core 3.1(or 5.0) 64 bit application.

Essentially, RediLib.dll (which Redi provides) as the COM wrapper, is 32 bit and compiled against .Net Framework v3.5.

If I try to use it with .net Core 3.1 (or 5.0) and 64bit, then I get

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {F2D4F4E5-EEA1-46FF-A83B-A270C92DAE4B} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))

and

System.BadImageFormatException: Could not load file or assembly

errors. The general advice for both of these is to upgrade the dependent library to 64 bit.

Needless to say, with what's provided it's also very hard to setup an automated build using the Redi library. Continuous integration, et al..

Given Refinitiv doesn't really have a replacement product for this space, it's unfortunate to see the product get so little attention.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @peter.drier,

Have you had a chance to create a new project, per my instructions, as "Console App (.Net Core)"?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.