question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 3 5 5

Managing subscriptions when using alerts delivery via AWS SQS

The reference manual we're using to implement a service to fetch news from RDP via AWS SQS, "News Service on Refinitiv Data Platform - User and Design Guide", v2.0, does not specify in any detail how to manage existing news subscriptions. It contains an example of how to create a new subscription and hints at that such a subscription can later be deleted (cancelled) using the ID returned in the response to a subscription request when/if it succeeds.

Hence we have the following questions:

• Suppose we have created a subscription via a HTTP POST request to /data/news/v1/news-headlines-subscriptions; how exactly do we delete/cancel this subscription using its ID returned in the response?
  • Having an active subscription, is it possible to modify it? Like, say, updating the filter used for selecting which news to alert about? Or is the filter only applied once, when the subscription is created, and cannot be changed for that particular subscription afterwards?

Another related question is: what is the lifetime of an AWS SQS queue created for a news subscription? Does it exist until the subscription is explicitly deleted/cancelled or are there other cases when a queue may cease to exist?

rdp-apirefinitiv-data-platform
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @khomutov

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hi!

Both questions were helpful (so I wish to thank both their authors!) but sadly nether of them had provided a complete solution.

This is mostly due to the fact the API playground consistently fails to work for us (I, for one, am having an endless authenticaton loop each time I try to open any resource there). Or, if we take this tutorial, for example, I simply cannot authenticate there at all: when I proceed with a sign-in, I am redirected to some page with 404 message.

Anyway, I was expecting a piece of documentation or an updated documentation or something like this; referring to an example of using a Python library is not a substitution for a reference manual (I am Python-literate but we're not using Python for building our service). Hope you understand.

Hi @khomutov,

Unfortunately, there is a known issue with login on dev portal, that is on the plans to be fixed. The login times out relatively quickly, however, on the status of the login, the user is still reported as logged in.

This affects any gated materials, that require a login.

The workaround:

1. Go to the front page of dev portal, logout, log back in, go to the required area next.

2. If you still not being successful, go to the front page, log out, clear cookies for a couple of days, log back in, go to the area.

Let us know if you are able to access the tutorial, I am able to access it

Show more comments

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.
Thanks,
AHS

Upvote
Accepted
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @khomutov,

Within the API Playground for news messages-services, it outlines how to "Destroy news-headlines subscription information with subscription ID". For example:

https://api.refinitiv.com/message-services/v1/news-headlines/subscriptions?subscriptionID=subscriptionID

Regarding an active subscription, I don't believe there is any way to change it. Once you define your criteria, that is what is delivered. If you need to change your criteria, you will need to create a new queue.

Regarding the lifetime, I don't have the specific details on this - something you may need to raise with Refinitiv Support. I would also suggest you review this tutorial for some reference.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @khomutov,

You may find helpful, in addition to the suggestions from @nick.zincone.1 , to also review and run example newsAlerts.py that is part of Quickstart and Python tutorials source code, Python starter examples example deck.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.