Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
61 3 3 4

How can I get the new RIC of the delisted stock using the old RIC?

Hello, i have the following problem: I got a list of RICs locally and some of these companies have been delisted recently. Therefore their RICs have changed. For example CLF.GQ is now CLF.GQ^K20. Is there a way to use the Eikon API to automatically link the old RIC with the new changed RIC, possibly using the ISIN? All the best, Jennifer
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
10.1k 18 6 9

@j.rasch Hi - yes you can use our RDP Search API in order to confirm the correct RIC. If an instrument has been delisted the new delisted RIC will be indicated:

import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
rdp.open_desktop_session('Your App Key Here')

rdp.search('CLF.GQ')

Now if its not delisted - say VOD.L:

rdp.search('VOD.L')

So the entry in row [1] will always give you the correct RIC - delisted rics have a ^ character in them. I hope this can help.

1616497107428.png (38.5 KiB)
1616497245766.png (175.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

not sure if this is of interest, but there seem to be a lot of exceptions to this rule. It doesnt work for

"0IEO.L", "0LC9.L", "GWPH.O","NTLA.O"

for example. Sometimes the RIC columns dont exist at all, sometimes the new rics are not in line 1, etc. Trying to work around it..

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

I'm not sure we can always rely on the logic described by @jason.ramchandani. RICs may be recycled. It doesn't happen very often, but it may happen. The infamous example is that the RIC "C" used to refer to Chrysler at one point and now it refers to Citigroup. ISINs are not reused. If you have an ISIN you can always get the current RIC. But all you have is a RIC and the RIC has been reused, then there's ambiguity and you need additional criteria to arrive to the result you're looking for. In the example of "C", if all you have is the RIC, it's impossible to say whether you're looking for Chrysler or for Citigroup without some assumptions or additional search criteria.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.