question

Upvotes
Accepted
0 1 1 2

ek.get_news_headlines vs rdp.news.get_headlines

Hi,

If I query the news using rdp, I get access denied. Scopes required to access the resource: [trapi.data.news.read]

import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
rdp.open_desktop_session(APP_KEY)
rdp.news.get_headlines("AAPL.O", count=10)

If I query the news using the legacy eikon api, I get the latest news

import refinitiv.dataplatform.eikon as ek
ek.get_news_headlines(query='AAPL.O', count=10)

Other rdp content is accessible both ways (timeseries, fundamentals/get_data and streaming)

Is my Eikon account not properly setup for rdp use? How can I get the extra permission trapi.data.news.read?

I use the latest refinitiv dataplatform python package available on pip on my Eikon workstation.
I have Eikon Research & Analyst.

eikon-data-apirdp-apirefinitiv-data-platformnews
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@laurent84

RDP is Refinitiv's strategic platform aimed to become a single distribution platform for all Refinitiv content assets. However, at this time RDP does not yet carry all the content available through Eikon platform and RDP Library does not provide full functional parity with Eikon Data APIs library. While the RDP is being developed, some data and capabilities are only available through RDP Library, some are only available through Eikon Data APIs, and some are available through both. This is the reason why RDP Library includes Eikon Data APIs as a module. At this time with an Eikon account (or with RDP Library desktop session) you can only retrieve news headlines using Eikon Data APIs. As @wasin.waeosri suggested, use

import refinitiv.dataplatform.eikon as ek
rdp.open_desktop_session('MY_APP_KEY')
ek.get_news_headlines(query="AAPL.O", count=10)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
24.4k 53 17 14

Hello @laurent84

Do you run the application on your own Jupyter environment or Eikon CodeBook application?

Based on my test, the RDP APIs and Eikon accounts may have different permission. I suggest you contact your Refinitiv representative to verify your RDP account permission.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
0 1 1 2

I run my application in a standalone python, but reproduced the issue on CodeBook too.

I don't have an RDP account per say, I have access to rdp with my eikon account using rdp.open_desktop_session.

For me it sounds like eikon account rdp permissions are not in sync with overall eikon account permissions.

Who shall I ask to set the proper permissions on an eikon account to access the news with rdp?

This is the scope that is set on my eikon account when I use rdp.open_desktop_session:

trapi.alerts.history.crud
trapi.alerts.preferences.crud
trapi.alerts.publication.crud
trapi.alerts.subscription.crud
trapi.data.get.data.read
trapi.data.historical-pricing.events.read
trapi.data.historical-pricing.summaries.read
trapi.data.quantitative-analytics.read
trapi.sdbold
trapi.search.lookup.read
trapi.search.metadata.read
trapi.search.read
trapi.searchcore.lookup.read
trapi.searchcore.metadata.read
trapi.searchcore.read
trapi.user-framework.application-metadata.raplib
trapi.user-framework.mobile.crud
trapi.user-framework.recently-used.crud
trapi.user-framework.workspace.crud

You can see that trapi.data.news.read scope is missing

But for example I don't have trapi.streaming.pricing.read but still can stream prices, given that rdp desktop_session streams prices from eikon instead of websocket rdp/ads servers

I wonder if rdp desktop_session implementation of news should have the same behaviour.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.4k 53 17 14

Hello @laurent84

I am not sure if the RDP Library for Python get_headlines function can be used with the Desktop Session or not. However, you can use the Eikon subpackage in the RDP library to request News data as the following example.

rdp.open_desktop_session('DEFAULT_CODE_BOOK_APP_KEY')
rdp.eikon.get_news_headlines(query="AAPL.O", count=10)

Regarding the permission question, you may contact your Refinitiv Account manager or Sale representative to help you verify the permission.

rdp-eikon.png (116.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
0 1 1 2

Hello @wasin.waeosri

I know the eikon api is working, that was the hole point of my question !

It's just that the eikon api is flagged as "legacy" and was trying to move our code to rdp

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.