Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 2 2 1

CDS Spreads

Hello

I have a list of companies, e.g. Apple and Microsoft. I need their yearly CDS spreads (at end of year). How do I get this? I am doing something but I am not sure.

data, error = ek.get_data(['VOD.L','AAPL.OQ','MSFT.OQ'],'TR.CDSPrimaryCDSRic')
result = data["Primary CDS RIC"]
df,e = ek.get_data(result,
                   ['TR.CDSType', 'TR.PARMIDSPREAD.date', 'TR.PARMIDSPREAD'],
                   {'SDate': '2018-01-01', 'EDate': '2018-01-30', 'DateType': 'AD', 'CURN': 'EUR'})
df

My first problem: result does not work as a list.

Second problem: What should I change in the parameters so that I get the end of year CDS spread for each of my stocks from, say, 2008 until now?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @staff2,

Try:

data, error = ek.get_data(['VOD.L','AAPL.OQ','MSFT.OQ'],'TR.CDSPrimaryCDSRic')
pcrs = data["Primary CDS RIC"]
df,e = ek.get_data(pcrs.tolist(),
                   {'SDate': '2018-01-01', 'EDate': '2018-01-30', 'DateType': 'AD', 'CURN': 'EUR'})
df

If you like to loop some end of years, in my understanding, a simple, perhaps not the most elegant way would be:

import pandas as pd
dfRes = pd.DataFrame()
for year in range(2008, 2020):
    dfIter,e = ek.get_data(pcrs.tolist(),
                   {'SDate': str(year)+'-12-30', 'EDate': str(year)+'-12-31', 'DateType': 'AD', 'CURN': 'EUR'})
    dfRes = dfRes.append(dfIter)
dfRes

Resulting in

This approach can be adjusted to your requirements in terms of the date range ( I am pulling both 12-30 and 12-31 just in case)

cdss.gif (43.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @zoya faberov,

do you know if it would be possible to not look for the CDS spreads of a fixed company during a specific time but rather look for all CDS that were traded during a specific time range ? I would like to look for all CDS´s that were trade during 2007-2010 for example. Can you help me out here ?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.