question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 5 7 10

rdp search returns nothing

Hi, I am using rdp.open_desktop_session in Python (IntelliJ Ultimate; rdp.version 1.0.0a7.post7) and running following :

baseString1 = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and startswith( IssuerLegalName, 'CREDIT SUISSE' ) and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"

baseString2 = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and startswith( CommonName, 'CREDIT SUISSE' ) and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"

srchfields = "RIC,ISIN, FullName, CommonName,CompanyName, SeniorityType,NativeIdentifier,DerivedCategory,OriginalIssueCurrency,ParentIndustrySector, CouponCurrency, CouponTypeDescription"

GroupSize = 5000

data1 = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=baseString1, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

data2 = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=baseString2, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

to get:

data1
data2
Out[13]: 
Empty DataFrame
Columns: []
Index: []

A) On top of that, I have a lot of Banks to loop over. What is the best strategy? Do I use the IssuerLegalName ?

B) Also, in Excel API, I could use the RIC or PermId of the Bank. What is the equivalent for PermId here? By the way, search using RIC does not seem to work.

basestringRIC = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and RIC eq 'UBSG.S' and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and ISIN ne null"

srchfields = "RIC,ISIN, FullName, CommonName,CompanyName, SeniorityType,NativeIdentifier,DerivedCategory,OriginalIssueCurrency,ParentIndustrySector, CouponCurrency, CouponTypeDescription"

GroupSize = 5000

dataUBS = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=basestringRIC, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

This returns:

dataUBS
Out[16]: 
Empty DataFrame
Columns: []
Index: []

Thanks

P.S.

this returns nothing in my case (It is being taken care of on a separate thread).

df = rdp.get_search_metadata(view = rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments)
rdp-apirefinitiv-data-platform
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

On PermID I tried following:

srchfields = "RIC,ISIN, FullName, CommonName,CompanyName, SeniorityType,NativeIdentifier,DerivedCategory,OriginalIssueCurrency,ParentIndustrySector, CouponCurrency, CouponTypeDescription, IssuerLegalName"
GroupSize = 5000
basestringPermID = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and  PermID eq  '4295890710' "

data_PermID = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=basestringPermID, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

#also tried:
basestringPermID  = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and  PermID eq  '5000804106' "

Both basestringPermID returned nothing.

Hello @grigorios.mamalis

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
17.2k 81 39 63

Hi @grigorios.mamalis,

I would highly recommend you use the:

response = rdp.Search.search()

syntax when building out your search expressions. The syntax you are using is a convenient, simple syntax that returns a dataframe. The libraries are layered to provide more granular details - the syntax above is the API call at the content layer of the library.

When I ran your first example 'baseString1', it failed because the startswith only accepts properties supporting exact match:

What you can do instead is perhaps use the organization ID (Perm ID) for Credit Suisse to return the list of bonds. Below is an updated filter that provides this. I also included a couple of other conditions around the status, i.e whether the bond is active and whether it has matured.

filterStr = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and ParentOAPermID eq '4295890672' and \
             IsActive eq true and AssetStatus ne 'MAT' and \
             OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"

Apply the above filter, I received a total of 5456 rows.

ahs.png (20.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @grigorios.mamalis

I believe that your filter does not work as expected.

baseString1 = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and startswith( IssuerLegalName, 'CREDIT SUISSE' ) and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"
baseString11 = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"

baseString2 = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and startswith( CommonName, 'CREDIT SUISSE' ) and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"
baseString22 = "DerivedCategory eq 'BOND' and OriginalIssueCurrency eq 'USD' and RIC ne null and ISIN ne null"

GroupSize = 50

data1 = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=baseString1, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)
data11 = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=baseString11, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

data2 = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=baseString2, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)
data22 = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=baseString22, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

I added data11 and data22 which remove "and startswith( IssuerLegalName, 'CREDIT SUISSE' )" from your filter and it returned the result.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

You can refer to this sample, https://github.com/Refinitiv-API-Samples/Example.RDPLibrary.Python.Search

Please see rdp.get_search_metadata(views)

You can use any fields which "Searchable" is true.

ahs.png (52.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.2k 81 39 63

Hi @grigorios.mamalis,

If you haven't had a chance, I would take a look at this Search Article. It will provide you with some helpful hints and tricks to figure out how to build out your search criteria.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 5 7 10

@chavalit.jintamalit Hi, well the point is that I wanted on purpose to retrieve data for given Bank and I wanted to repeat this procedure for a whole lot of Banks. Can you please reconsider your answer to take into account this?

Also, importantly I need to have a way to specify the names of the Banks in rdp space. I do have a list with names from EIKON GUI, but is there an attribute reflecting a Bank name that is valid across EIKON tools? (from GUI to dataplatform? I was thinking of IssuerLegalName or RIC or PermID but I need something that works for all cases. RIC and PermID do not seem to work in data platform e.g.)

Regarding rdp.get_search_metadata see P.S. section of my original e-mail where I say that this does not work for me in IntelliJ. In the meanwhile I found out that it works on CODEBK but I can only inspect it on that platform. Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @grigorios.mamalis

Can you please reconsider your answer to take into account this?

Please review Nick's sample filter.(using PermID)

Regarding rdp.get_search_metadata - it works on CODEBK

I know that this is not perfect, you can use CODEBOOK to get metadata and export them to csv or excel file.

df = rdp.get_search_metadata(view = rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments) 
df.to_excel('gov-metadata.xlsx')

Then you can download the exported file and see the fields on your local machine.

ahs.jpg (376.3 KiB)
Upvotes
16 5 7 10

@ nick.zincone.1 · Many thanks for the hint regarding the PermID (that works nicely) and for the link with info.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 5 7 10

@nick.zincone.1

by the way why does the below does not work? I took the "A:C9" from the

navigators = "RCSCouponTypeGenealogy"
# does not work:
filterStr = " DerivedCategory eq 'BOND'  and IsActive eq true and AssetStatus ne 'MAT'  and endsWith(RCSCouponTypeGenealogy, 'A:C9' ) and  ParentOAPermID  eq  '4295890672'"

srchfields = "RIC,ISIN, FullName, InstrumentTypeDescription, RCSCouponTypeGenealogy"

data_PermID = rdp.search(view=rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments, filter=filterStr, top=GroupSize, select=srchfields)

Thanks.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
17.2k 81 39 63

Hi @grigorios.mamalis,

The 'endsWith' should be 'endwith' (all lowercase).

Remember the advice above, don't use:

response = rdp.search() 

when building out your search algorithm. Instead use:

response = rdp.Search.search()

With the latter, you can interrogate the details, such as:

# status
response.status
# raw data (allows you to see navigator results
response.data.raw
# dataframe
response.data.df

Once you are happy with the outcome, then certainly use the

response = rdp.search()
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
16 5 7 10

Hi @nick.zincone.1 · , my bad. Many thanks for the correction regarding "endswith" as well as for the Search. Took note. All works fine.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.