Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
13 5 9 11

Active Bonds List - Python vs Eikon Discrepancy

Hi, I am currently using the below snippet in Python to retrieve active bonds ISIN list for a specific entity, in this case Apple Inc:

df, err = ek.get_data(['AAPL.O'], ['TR.BondISIN'])

I get 98 hits with this code, but if I go into the Eikon Workstation - Debt Structure I can see that the number should actually be 131. Could you please help? Am I perhaps using the wrong code? Thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apibonds
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Note to all Refinitiv moderators: I (Jonathan Legrand) will be taking this question if you don't mind.

Upvote
Accepted
5.8k 21 2 6

Hi @Giorgio Cozzolino,

As per this post, I'm afraid that "You cannot use use "Bond Search" with Eikon Data API(Python)."

However, you may use the rdp Python library as shown in this article (under the 'Metadata' section) with (most probably) the same credentials as your Eikon's to run the bellow:

rdp.search(
    view = rdp.SearchViews.GovCorpInstruments,
    filter = "ParentOAPermID eq '4295905573' and IsActive eq true and not(AssetStatus in ('MAT'))",
    top = 1000,
    select = "ISIN, MaturityDate, EOMAmountOutstanding"
)

which returns 131 rows of data.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks Jonathan, that's an excellent turnaround!

Upvotes
17.2k 82 39 63

Hi @Giorgio Cozzolino,

Just to follow up on the answer by @jonathan.legrand, you can also refer to the Debt Structure article that programmatically searches for active government bonds. The article is largely focused on currency conversion but the technique and details around searching for bonds will help you understand. In addition, the article also shows a number of other data points that may be of interest.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.