Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

How to download historical Price to Book Value ratio, Market Cap, Market Returns and ESG Score for each of the companies of the MSCI World Index between 2016 and 2021 ?

I am currently writing my Masters thesis and I would like to have access to this data to calculate the risk factors of the Fama-French 3 factor model. I know how to download them individually but I am trying to be time efficient here and downloaded them in one shot.

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apihistoricalesg
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@trstudent13

If you still need help with this, could you please respond to the post by @jonathan.legrand asking you to share the data retrieval expressions you utilize currently?

Hi @trstudent13,

If you are happy with Refinitiv Moderators to see your code, would you mind sharing it with us on this comment thread? I am mostly interested in your code gathering the data individually to aid my investigation in answering your question.

@trstudent13

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in answering your question?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@trstudent13

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
5.7k 21 2 6

Hi @trstudent13 ,

May I advise reading the article 'Gathering aggregated ESG data on companies', especially its code on GitHub. An example of code you could use from this 'ESG_Boolean_Data' Python Class is:

tes0 = ESG_Boolean_Data(Value = "True", Antivalue = "False")
tes1 = tes0.get_data(Companies = ['0#.MIWO00000PUS'], # e.g.: SPX, MIWO00000PUS
    Fields = ['TR.AnalyticEnvControv','TR.EnvMaterialsSourcing','TR.EnvSupplyChainMgt','TR.PolicySustainablePackaging'],
    Static_fields = ['TR.HeadquartersCountry', 'TR.TRBCEconomicSector'])
tes1.df

Which will provide MSCI World Index companies' ESG boolean data outlined.

Otherwise, I must say that simply just constructing a banal eikon api call is the most efficient way to go about your request, e.g.:

df, err = ek.get_data(instruments=['0#.MIWO00000PUS'],  # This renders a list of all the companies in the MSCI world.
    fields=All_fields,
    parameters={'SDate' : '2020-01-01', 'EDate' : '2021-01-01', 'Frq' : 'FY'})

Note that - due to the naturally low frequency of ESG data publication - only annual ESG data points are considered reliable (and it most often is the highest frequency available for ESG data).

MSCI World is a large list of companies, you may thus hit eikon's data-request limit. I would advise using this technique to circumvent the issue - here it is used on Datastream calls, but it would work on eikon calls too.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.