Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
53 6 3 6

When calling ek.get_timeseries('FCPOc3') getting server error 500

Hi,

I'm trying to find the issue causing the following on the machine of a colleague :

When he runs

import eikon as ek
ek.set_app_key('apk') 
ek.get_timeseries('FCPOc3')

He gets the following response:

Error code 500 | Server Error: {"code":500,"message":"getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND emea1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com emea1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com:443","statusMessage":"Internal Server Error"}

On my machine the code above works fine. We are both behind the same corporate firewall and connected via the same VPN connection. When he shuts down the VPN, the error above does not show and the data is retrieved as expected.

To check whether this is a network issue, I tried pinging

emea1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com

But this gives me:

Ping request could not find host emea1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com. Please check the name and try again.

How to proceed on this? A little more than a week ago all was working fine, so perhaps the firewall rules have changed, but I dont know where to start.

Thanks

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapi
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @eddy_de_groot ,

As you indicate that the issue is persistent (and you have a machine with Eikon Data API connecting on the same subnet, succefully), I suggest first going through the standard brief troubleshooting steps that are described in article Eikon Data API(Python) Troubleshooting and verifying every step one by one such as Eikon proxy is listening, collecting log and checking for the info.

Another aspect to be clarify and eliminate- your colleague's Eikon is not old, and the variant is the same as yours, API-enabled? Because the lower variants of Eikon are not intended for API integration, they do not support it.

Once you have had a chance to reproduce the issue and collect the info and the logs, please include? Will look.

Thanks

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @eddy_de_groot ,

I can share some thoughts in hopes that they may be helpful to you in troubleshooting this in your environment,

The fact that you are able to run the same request on your machine, and even on the same machine but with VPN, indicates that the issue is connectivity and not the code, user permissions, or service undergoing a substantial outage.

If, after an eikon restart and fresh restart of the machine, the issue continues to reproduce consistently, I would suggest reporting and investigating the issue with your organization's network admin/group, as connectivity issue, providing all the details.

If the above actions rectify the issue, I would say the issue was either intermittent of the service side, or network changes in-progress on your organization's side that have now been completed?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @zoya.farberov ,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this is persistent, reboot does not help. In order to ask our network admin/group to look into this, it would help to know which server it actually tries to hit during the API call so they can see why it is blocked. Would you be able to provide me this information?

Many thanks!

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @eddy_de_groot ,

Please also see this previous discussion thread it includes the Fiddler capture from EDAPI on the issue.

You can run Fiddler on your side and capture the connection at the time when it fails, or you can see the endpoint for Emea included and extrapolate depending on your geographical region.

Hope this helps

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.