Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 0 1 1

Getting data frame directly from using news API

In Eikon, news code [HNXB] contains headlines with links to download the file. Is there a way for us to download the data frame directly via Codebook? I'm only able to get the headlines but couldn't find a code that would extract the data directly.

ek.get_news_headlines(query = 'HNXB', count=10)

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apicodebook
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@chrisma.salut

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

<AHS>

Hi @chavalit.jintamalit, the client has a follow-up question, could you please help the client?

@chrisma.salut

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @chrisma.salut

Step 1: get headline

ahs1.png

Step 2: get story id

ahs2.png

I can only add 2 pictures in an answer, so please see further comment on this answer for more detail.

ahs1.png (82.8 KiB)
ahs2.png (36.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Step 3: get Side by Side API token with Eikon Desktop

ahs3.png

Step 4: prepare Side by Side API command

ahs4.png

Step 5: open the URL using the prepared command

url = 'http://127.0.0.1:9000/sxs/v1'
headers = {
    'Content-Type': 'application/json',
    }

response = requests.request('POST', url, data=commandString, headers=headers)

print(response.text)
ahs3.png (59.6 KiB)
ahs4.png (47.2 KiB)
Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@chrisma.salut So im thinking that you are looking to retrieve the news stories - so get_news headlines returns a dataframe of max 100 items per API call corresponding to a query you give it - in your case 'HNXB'.

df = ek.get_news_headlines(query = 'HNXB', count=10)
df

1625126359346.png

So this returns a dataframe of 10 headline items and you need to pass the storyId to a second API called get_news_story - which will return you the html formatted story text. The folllowing routine stores the formatted html news story in a new column called storytext.

df['storytext'] = ''
for i, uri in enumerate(df['storyId']):
    df['storytext'][i] = ek.get_news_story(uri)

df

1625127940211.png

You can display the story using:

from IPython.display import HTML
HTML(df['storytext'][0])

I have noticed in your query the news story text is actually a download link - if you changed the query to say VOD.L and repeated the exercise - it would display a news item. It is working correctly. I hope this can help.

1625126359346.png (315.0 KiB)
1625127940211.png (278.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 0 1 1

Hello Chavalit,

Thank you for your assistance on this query. Client can't get past step 3 as they are getting an error. Any idea what's causing this?image001.jpg

image001.jpg (42.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @chavalit.jintamalit ,

Could you please take another look, I think you were intended to be tagged.

Thanks

The client created a new question for this issue.
Upvotes
321 0 0 2

Hi all, I dont verified your answers because it doenst match the requirement : downloading the file not the news. I found out my own way without applying any side to side api :

###1. get the table news

###2. get the story id

###2. get the file (downloaded in download folder)

df1Id=df1[df1['date']== a]['storyId'][0]

df1_url=ek.get_news_story(df1Id)

link1 = re.search('href="(.*)" data-type', df1_url)

webbrowser.open(link1.group(1))

icon clock
10 |1500

@khangdiep Sorry we did not hit the mark this time. Thanks for taking the trouble to post your solution here - i'm sure others in the community will benefit from this addition. I have verified that this does indeed open the link in the webbrowser - however it does not download the file. From here you could try to scrape the rendered HTML I suppose. Once again thanks so much for contributing your solution.
the file is downloaded in "download" folder as the default location from website download. the download window is popped up and ask to choose the save folder location - but u can skip this step as keep running the code to download the other news file til the code end.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.