question

Upvotes
Accepted
2 0 1 3

Disable Error message box in RFA

Hi

I'm trying to disable the "RFA Internal Failure" dialog. I would like to replace it with my own exception handling.

I have tried to edit my .cfg file according to section 2.8 in the configuration guide and i'm testing by removing the RFA8_MsgFile120_x64.dll file

treprfarfa-apierrorconfigurationexception
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
7.6k 15 6 9

@ce kirkerud

I'm not sure what version of RFA you are using and is this 32 bit application running on 64 bit ?or it's 64 bit application. If it's 32 bit application running on 64 bit you have to change the registry to Wow6432Node according to Microsoft.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Reuters]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Reuters\RFA]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Reuters\RFA\Default]
"RFA_MESSAGEBOX_ENABLED"="False"
"RFA_LOG_FILENAME"="rfa_verify.log"
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

That was the problem. I tested RFA7 which is 32 bit, so with Wow3432Node it worked. Thanks.

Upvotes
7.6k 15 6 9

@ce kirkerud

You can't replace RFA Internal Failure dialog with you own exception handling. RFA has internal thread to catch unhandled exception and it usually reports the exception in pops up dialog(winndows). No configuration to disable the RFA exception handling and leave it throw to application layer. The message in the message file(RFA8_MsgFile120_x64.dll) is for RFA internal component logger message.

However we have RFA configuration for turn off the message box pops up for internal RFA errors. You can set RFA_MESSAGEBOX_ENABLED to false in the windows registry under section

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Reuters\RFA\Default

RFA still generate RFA Internal Failure log under temp directly but no pops up. See below details the configuration from RFA Configuration Guide.

registry.png (47.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

I have tried that, both with registry and the .cfg file but i can't get it to work. The box pops up anyway.

it can use with registry only, please check the details from RFA Config Guide.

Can you export the registry you set the config? I would like to verify your setting.

export-reg.txt

Here is my export from registry

export-reg.txt (428 B)
Show more comments

Thank you for the document version. Now, I understand your concern. It seems that the document is incorrect. The RFA_MESSAGEBOX_ENABLED is available only on Registry. I will pass this information to RFA development to fix the document.

Upvotes
7.6k 15 6 9

@ce kirkerud

I have tested below config with my registry and it work correctly. No pop up shows and it save the log in file specified in RFA_LOG_FILENAME under running directory instead.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Reuters\RFA\Default] 
"RFA_MESSAGEBOX_ENABLED" = "False"
"RFA_LOG_FILENAME" = "rfa_verify.log"
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.