question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 0 2 3

Tick History - rate of access to the token endpoint

Hi there, customer is using RTH to make small but numerous API calls using Historical Pricing and Elektron TS report templates. Was working fine but now they seem to be curtailed. Documentation indicates there to be no limit on the number of tokens that can be products but also speaks of concurrent limitations also. They are using serverless cloud technology and looking for some urgent guidance to tackle what seems to be a nuanced technical problem. I am getting my Data Engineer registered so will pull him in when I can. I confess I have read the documentation and it seems a bit contradictory to me also. TIA, JEC

tick-history-rest-apiauthentication
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
78.2k 246 52 72

@JamesECatling

I will contact the product team to confirm if the rate limit mentioned in the Best Practices & Fair Usage Policy for DataScope Select and Tick History is correct and updated. From its file name, the file was updated in April 2021.

Yes, it is a little bit confusing. The user guide mentions this:

You can create as many tokens as you want, as often as you want. 

However, the best practices document limits the token request to 20-30 requests per 300 seconds.1626404403626.png

I will also contact the product team to confirm it.

1626404403626.png (69.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@JamesECatling

I got a response from the product team that we will update the REST API USER GUIDE according to the limits mentioned in the best practice guide.

Upvotes
78.2k 246 52 72

@JamesECatling

Please refer to an answer in this thread.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 0 2 3

Thank you @jirapongse.phuriphanvichai @ @wasin.waeosri. Here is the feedback from the client "It's useful to see a somewhat concrete statement of the limit that applies to the number of tokens that can be requested. We've been able to work around the issue of the token requests being significantly limited now so we're no longer being prevented from making requests.

One thing I would be interested in is if the rate of access to any other endpoints were to be limited in the future is this something that we would expect to be notified about ahead of the change and are we able to trust the rate limits generally specified in the most recent version of the document sent over?

Additionally, the statement in the user guide about there being no limit to the rate at which tokens can be requested, does this refer to another service and we're misinterpreting it or is it just incorrect?

>> three questions there. I do thnk it odd to have almost limitless ability to regenerate tokens but only be able to use some. Is that not a contradiction?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
5 0 2 3

Thank you @jirapongse.phuriphanvichai , much appreciated. I just realized that I followed up my question on the duplicate thread rather than this thread. I do apologize. If I understand it correctly Product are going to remove/amend the bit about " You can create as many tokens as you want, as often as you want." given it is slightly contradictory. I look forward to the clarity in the document. Thank you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.