Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 2 2 6

How to retrieve Workspace data fields with Python that cannot be found in the data item browser?

Hi

The Refinitiv workspace shows some data fields which I cannot retrieve with Python as they are apparently missing in the data item browser. Examples are the data fields Management Approach and Advisor in the below screenshot. Am I missing something here or are not all data fields retrieval with the API?

1626247259244.png

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
1626247259244.png (137.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
1.6k 3 2 3

@ErikM , For funds, you are right that Eikon API (also Eikon Excel) only have a subset of all the fields available in Eikon/Workspace fund overview page. The newer RDP Funds API got much more fields and should cover almost all data on the Fund Overview page.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you @b.lee. I have spent some time trying to understand RDP Funds API but cannot figure out how I can retrieve data fields such as the ones I mentioned above. Is there something like a data item library or an overview of what functions exist?

@ErikM , Firstly, RDP Funds API is a separate service, not part of the Eikon API. It needs separate license. Once you got the right license, you should able to test it using the API Playground. For the 2 sample fields you asked(1) "active/passive", (2) "Advisor", I can show you in the screenshots of the API playground below.

Notes: (1) Lipper user "Index Tracking" data point to indicate if the fund is "passive", i.e. tracking an index or "active" when that flat is not set. I used an ETF (Hong Kong Tracker fund) to show in the screen as your sample fund is not "index tracking".

(2) I assume your "advisor" means "investment advisor", and I show the advisor's information returned by the API.

indextracking.png

advisor.png

indextracking.png (83.4 KiB)
advisor.png (105.8 KiB)
Thank you @b.lee. May I ask how you found out that the two sample fields are called by using "Index Tracking" or "Investment_Advisor"?
Show more comments

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.