Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

Scrolling news in Excel?

I have an excel sheet that pulls news headlines from Eikon and scrolls the news headlines from the top of the Excel page to bottom as news stores come in. It just stopped working about 2 weeks ago. It looks like the Excel sheet uses a macro to pull in the new stories. I don't know who built it. I don't see any errors. Refinitiv Eikon is online and pulling data. I reached out to Eikon customer support and they told me to come here and ask for help. Thanks

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@michael.bruce

I think that most likely the spreadsheet used to retrieve news headlines using the RIC N2_UBMS, which has been retired. The VBA code in the spreadsheet needs to be updated to use the RIC NFCP_UBMS. Some field names and perhaps the filtering logic may also need to be updated. If you post the spreadsheet on this thread (put it in a zip file and attach it to your post), I can take a look and update it. But given that no one owns this spreadsheet, you may want to consider alternative solutions, as software not owned by anyone may stop working at any time, and you may not be able to fix it.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 1 1 2

@Alex Putkov. Thanks Alex. Please see attached spreadsheetnews.zip

news.zip (46.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@michael.bruce

I updated the spreadsheet. For now it is able to retrieve and display news headlines. If you need to change the filter expression, I'm afraid it won't be as easy as previously. You would need to add any news codes you'd like to use in the filter expression to the table in the News Codes worksheets that maps user friendly codes like "COM" to cryptic codes like "A:4" published with updates to NFCP_UBMS RIC. Since it looks like the purpose of this spreadsheet is to project news headlines to a wallboard, I'm guessing you don't need to change the filter expression frequently, so this shouldn't be a very big issue.
Let me know how it works for you.
news.zip

news.zip (64.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 1 2

@Alex Putkov. this is perfect. Thank you for the help!

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 1 2

@Alex Putkov.1 is there an easy way to update the new.zip spreadsheet in the thread above to 64bit? I'm getting a Visual Basic compile error, "The code in this project must be updated for use on 64-bit systems". Thanks, Mike

icon clock
10 |1500

I'm afraid not. The COM library used in the VBA code in this spreadsheet is only available as 32-bit dll, which means it can only be used in 32-bit Excel. The spreadsheet can be used in 32-bit Excel on 64-bit Windows. But it cannot be used in 64-bit Excel.
Upvotes
1 1 1 2

Thanks. So there is no way to modify the current code for 64 bit? Would it be possible to rebuild it from scratch using 64-bit Excel? Or can you run it in a compatibility mode?

icon clock
10 |1500

There is no way to use this spreadsheet in 64-bit Excel. No way at all.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.