Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
13 1 1 2

Central Bank Minutes - Text Data

Hello,

Is there a way to get the historical text data for Central Bank Meetings' Minutes?

I am working on an NLP application and would like to know if a can get those texts from eikon or datastream in a smiliar way as you use ek.get_data or ds.get_data.

Thanks!

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

You can try getting these minutes from news. The following call retrieves news headlines using news topic code BRCO (Central bank of Columbia) and keyword 'minutes'. It returns a dataframe of news headlines related to Central bank of Columbia and containing the word 'minutes'.

hl_df = ek.get_news_headlines('BRCO AND MINUTES')

Then to get the story for the latest headline in the dataframe you can use

story = ek.get_news_story(hl_df['storyId'].iloc[0])

The story is returned as HTML. To parse the text out of it you can use BeatifulSoup library. The code snippet below removes all style and script tags from the HTML

from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
soup = BeautifulSoup(story,"html.parser")
for data in soup(['style', 'script']):
        data.decompose()
story_text = ' '.join(soup.stripped_strings)
print(story_text)

The result is

"After a thorough evaluation of economic activity, inflation and international financial conditions, Banco de la República's board of directors (BDBR) voted unanimously on June 28 to hold the benchmark interest rate at 1.75%...."

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Alex. Thanks for your answer. IT is helping me a lot. Just a couple of questions:

When I run the following code I get this:

hl_df = ek.get_news_headlines('BRCO AND TEXT', date_from='2015-12-31T09:00:00', date_to='2021-08-31T18:00:00')

1628512492498.png

1. How can I get them in spanish instead of english?

2. How can I get results from past years? Despite writting date_from 2015 I only get results from 2020 to 2021.

Thanks for your help!

1628512492498.png (46.9 KiB)

@Andresgo

News search expression "BRCO AND TEXT" returns news headlines related to Central Bank of Columbia (news topic code BRCO) that contain the word 'TEXT' in the headline. As far as I can see there are no Spanish language headlines that conform to this criteria. If you try "BRCO AND MINUTAS" you'll see a bunch of headlines in Spanish. "BRCO AND LES" returns all Spanish language headlines (news topic code LES) related to Central Bank of Columbia (news topic code BRCO). As a general practice I strongly recommend using News Monitor app to help you construct a news search expression, that you can then easily copy & paste from the search bar in the News Monitor app into your code.

The depth of history for news headlines currently available through Eikon Data APIs is 15 months. I'm afraid you won't be able to retrieve news headlines from 2015 or even from Jan 2020.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.