For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 2 2

Tick History REST API: Error in handle_url(handle, url, ...) :can't find object 'location'

Hi. I'm following this tutorial (https://developers.refinitiv.com/en/article-catalog/article/using-tick-history-in-r-language-part-3) to use Refinitiv REST API in R. But I think the question should be general and apply to other languages (Python/C etc).

So I'm not able to get results within 30s time-out period so I'm polling the 'get' method. When running:

url <- "https://selectapi.datascope.refinitiv.com/RestApi/v1/Extractions/ExtractRaw"
r <- httr::GET(location,add_headers(prefer = "respond-async",Authorization = token))

I get the error:

Error in handle_url(handle, url, ...) : ccan't find object 'location'

But nowhere in the tutorial mentions how to define 'location'. So can I get some help on this issue? Thank you.

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdsstick-history-rest-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
78.1k 246 52 72

@ziucqea

Refer to the source code in GitHub, the Location is in the HTTP's headers when the HTTP status code is 202.

RTHExtractRaw <- function(b,path,overwrite = FALSE) {
  url <- "https://selectapi.datascope.refinitiv.com/RestApi/v1/Extractions/ExtractRaw"
  token <- get("token",envir = cacheEnv)
  r <- httr::POST(url,add_headers(prefer = "respond-async",Authorization = token),content_type_json(),body = b,encode = "json")
  if (status_code(r) == 202) {

message("The request has been accepted but has not yet completed executing asynchronously.\r\nReturn monitor URL\r\n",r$headers$location)
    return(invisible(r$headers$location))
  } else if(status_code(r) == 200) {
    a<-content(r, "parsed", "application/json", encoding="UTF-8")
    message(a$Notes)
    return(RTHRawExtractionResults(a$JobId,path,overwrite))
  } else {
    warn_for_status(r)
    return(a)
  }
}

1629689021730.png

Then, the URL in the Location is used with the HTTP get method to check the request status.

RTHCheckRequestStatus <- function(location,path,overwrite = FALSE) {
  token <- get("token",envir = cacheEnv)
  r <- GET(location,add_headers(prefer = "respond-async",Authorization = token))
  if (status_code(r) == 202) {
    message("The request has not yet completed executing asynchronously.\r\nPlease wait a bit and check the request status again.\r\n")
    return(invisible(r$headers$location))
  } else if(status_code(r) == 200) {
    message(a$Notes)
    return(RTHRawExtractionResults(a$JobId,path,overwrite))
  } else {
    warn_for_status(r)
    return(a)
  }
}

1629689021730.png (54.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi. Thank you. I'm now able to run the functions. However, should I define path as a csv file or something else? When I set path as a csv file and run RTHCheckRequestStatus(), I get some garbled codes as in the pic. What should I do?qq截图20210823193604.png

qq截图20210823194032.png

Upvotes
1 1 2 2

@jirapongse.phuriphanvichai

Hi. Just repeating my question in the comment for a better readability... I'm now able to run the functions thanks a lot. However, should I define path as a csv file or something else? When I set path as a csv file and run RTHCheckRequestStatus(), I get some garbled codes as in the pic. What should I do?

qq截图20210823193604.png

qq截图20210823194032.png

icon clock
10 |1500

@ziucqea

Please share the request's body (b) used with the RTHExtractRaw function.

Upvotes
1 1 2 2

@jirapongse.phuriphanvichai

Hi, my body is:

b='{

"ExtractionRequest": {

"@odata.type": "#DataScope.Select.Api.Extractions.ExtractionRequests.TickHistoryIntradaySummariesExtractionRequest",

"ContentFieldNames": [

"Close Ask",

"Close Bid"

],

"IdentifierList": {

"@odata.type": "#DataScope.Select.Api.Extractions.ExtractionRequests.InstrumentIdentifierList",

"InstrumentIdentifiers": [

{ "Identifier": "AAPL.O", "IdentifierType": "Ric" }

],

"ValidationOptions": null,

"UseUserPreferencesForValidationOptions": false

},

"Condition": {

"MessageTimeStampIn": "LocalExchangeTime",

"ReportDateRangeType": "Range",

"QueryStartDate": "2020-08-17T11:00:00.000Z",

"QueryEndDate": "2020-08-19T11:30:00.000Z",

"SummaryInterval": "OneMinute",

"TimebarPersistence": true,

"DisplaySourceRIC": true

}

}

}'

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
78.1k 246 52 72

@ziucqea

From my test, the output is the gzip file. Therefore, we need to save it as a gzip file.

result = RTHCheckRequestStatus(location,"c:\\d_drive\\test.csv.gz")

Then, uncompress it to get the csv file.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thank you. I seem to be able to run the extraction now... Many thanks again

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.