For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted

WebSocket API: Problems using cookie based authentication (C#)

Hi

I am having issues using cookie-based authentication, when opening the web socket connection to wss://emea-1-t2.streaming-pricing-api.refinitiv.com:443/WebSocket. I am developing my application in C# against .Net 5.0 using the WebSocketSharp library.

Assume I have a valid access token/refresh token pair acquired from the authentication server https://api.refinitiv.com/auth/oauth2/v1/token, i.e.

{
    "access_token":"eyJ0e****effg",
    "refresh_token": "****-def6-47b3-aeb2-1468796846b5",
    "expires_in": "300",
    "token_type": "Bearer"
}

Request based

I can successfully authenticate using a Login request as the initial request on the form:

{
    "Domain":"Login",
    "ID":1,
    "Key":{
        "Elements":{
            "ApplicationId":"256",
            "AuthenticationToken":"aBcDeFgHiJkLmNoPqRsTuVwXyZ",
            "Position":"127.0.0.1"
        },
        "NameType":"AuthnToken"
    }
}

This means I get a repsonse stating that the data is streaming etc., and I can perform additional requests.

Cookie based

The story is different, when I try to use cookie based authentication. The feature is described in the Protocol Specification page 18, where one can supply the below HTTP cookies, before connecting:

*ads*authTokenName : AuthToken
*ads*positionName : position
*ads*applicationIdName : applicationId

No matter what I do, I am not able to authenticate using this method. I have tried different ApplicationIds and positions. My code for this part is:

WebSocket.SetCookie(new Cookie("*ads*authTokenName", access_token));
WebSocket.SetCookie(new Cookie("*ads*positionName", position));
WebSocket.SetCookie(new Cookie("*ads*applicationIdName", "256"));

First of all, the example application provided here uses som completely different header names, i.e. AuthToken, AuthPosition, and applicationId. They seem more legit, than those in the protocol specification, but nevertheless, it doesn't work.

Whenever I try to perform a request (not Login request) after the connection, I am met with the following exception, after which the connection terminates:

Received Log Event (Level: Fatal): WebSocketSharp.WebSocketException: The header of a frame cannot be read from the stream.
   at WebSocketSharp.WebSocketFrame.processHeader(Byte[] header)
   at WebSocketSharp.WebSocketFrame.<>c__DisplayClass73_0.<readHeaderAsync>b__0(Byte[] bytes)
   at WebSocketSharp.Ext.<>c__DisplayClass48_0.<ReadBytesAsync>b__0(IAsyncResult ar)

• Is cookie-based even possible?
  • If so, which header names and values should I provide?
  • Bonus question: Am I right in the assumption, that the token does not need to be refreshed, when application as a cookie? I not, what is the recommended method for refreshing it?
websocketsrrtoauthenticationrefinitiv-realtime-optimisedtoken
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @Kenneth Gabriel Birkedahl

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@Kenneth Gabriel Birkedahl

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
24.6k 54 17 14

Hello @Kenneth Gabriel Birkedahl

I think the cookie-based authentication in the WebSocket API document means the deployed RTDS scenario that the application connects to a local ADS server, not the RTO (Refinitiv Real-Time Optimized) scenario which is over the cloud (currently AWS).

You can check the RTO scenario implementation detail from the Refinitiv Real-Time - Optimized Install and Config Guide document page (Section 2.8 "Consume Refinitiv Real-Time - Optimized Service")

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.