Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 2

Can the Python API extract weather and "flows" historical data?

I'm new to Eikon and exploring the Python API. Through this, I've managed to pull timeseries information on commodities and futures prices. However, for agricultural commodities, Eikon also has flow and weather data, which I haven't yet managed to extract via the API.

I've seen this question on how to extract current weather data for Europe, but haven't figured out how to replicate it for other countries/continents, nor does that method seem capable of extracting weather timeseries.

As for flow data, I've seen a few other questions which state that information (along with everything else PointCarbon) isn't available via the API, but they are all from 2018, so would like a confirmation that is still the case 3 years later.

eikoneikon-data-apiweather
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@pnacht

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
14.2k 30 5 10

Hello again @pnacht,

I've got an update regarding case 10565205 that the historical weather data is not available in Eikon Data APIs.

According to this question you mentioned, RIC EU/WEATHER can be used to get the 7-days of weather data (starting today) of countries in Europe. As I check with the team, this data is only available for the EU currently.

For more detail on how to get each country's data, first, you can access RIC EU/WEATHER in Quote app

1634033826340.pngfrom there, you may click on <EU/WEATHER3> or <EU/WEATHER4> which is redirected you to the "Forecast data by country" list

1634033961419.png

Let me continue in the thread as only 2 screenshots are allowed in one comment

1634033826340.png (38.2 KiB)
1634033961419.png (49.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Let say that you want to get the data of France, click on the RIC "<0#FR-FORECASTS>"
1634034116624.png

The list of Cities in that country will be shown with the day of forecast (Day 1 is today) so to get tomorrow's weather forecast of Paris, click on 0#PARIS-D2, you'll see the Quote app as a screenshot below. Here you need to narrow down the hour from the available options (the 2 digits after PARIS-D2-)

1634034185734.png

To know which field should be used when calling eikon's get_data(), hover on the field you'd like to get and the field name will be shown

Hope this could help, please tell me in case you have any further questions

1634034116624.png (22.2 KiB)
1634034185734.png (23.6 KiB)
Upvotes
14.2k 30 5 10

hi @pnacht ,

Case number 10565205 was raised to answer the weather question, the support team will reach out to you to update the solution. In case they provide you an Eikon Excel formula and you need help to convert it to Python code for Eikon Data APIs, we're happy to help you.

About the flow data, I found the update last year in this thread mentioned that

This dataset is not currently available through Eikon APIs. At the moment the only way to access this data programmatically is through Refinitiv Point Connect. If you need more details, please contact your Refinitiv account manager or click "Request details" button on the page following the link above.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.