Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 3 2 5

How to use RIC or ISIN to get the datastream code (DSCD) in Python API?

eikon-data-apipython
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
78.1k 246 52 72

@Ren

I assume that you are using the Python Datastream Webservice library.

You can use RIC by enclosing it with the angle brackets <>.

The code looks like this.

ds.get_data(tickers='US4592001014,<GOOG.O>', fields=['DSCD','MNEM'], kind=0)

The output is:

1637902333863.png

1637902333863.png (14.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @Jirapongse

How about other libraries? Only this library can get DSCD?

@Ren

Do you mean other APIs, such as Eikon Data API?

I don't think that Eikon Data API can return the datastream code.

@Jirapongse I see. I also know there is one more library called "refinitiv dataplatform". I'm a little confused. What's the difference between these three libraries?

Upvotes
78.1k 246 52 72

@Ren

These APIs can be used to retrieve financial data.

Eikon Data API retrieves data through Eikon. It can be used to retrieve the data, such as Fundamental and Reference Data, Pricing Data, Historical Data, Symbology, News, etc. Typically, Eikon Data API supports RICs but you can also use other instrument types, such as ISIN, SEDOL, CUSIP, and PermID.

Datastream API can run on any machine that can connect to the Internet. It can be used to retrieve the data, such as Fundamental and Reference Data, Pricing Data, Historical Data, Symbology, etc. However, the fields or data types are different from Eikon. It supports several instrument types, such as RIC, Datastream Code, Datastream Mnemonic, and ISIN.

Refinitiv Data Platform provides simple web-based API access to a broad range of content, such as client file store, ESG, Historical Pricing, Instrument Pricing Analytics, News, Search, Symbology, etc. You can use it on any machine that can connect to the Internet.

All these APIs are available in Codebook.

For more information, please refer to the following pages:

icon clock
10 |1500

@Jirapongse Thank you very much!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.