Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 2 2 5

Error when using HistoricalPricing.get_events with open_desktop_session

Hello,

I get the below error when using the below code. The same code works well with open_platform_session.

Error:

'{"code":401,"message":"An empty location header is received while retrieving RDP access token","statusMessage":"Unauthorized"}'

This is my code:

import os
import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
app_key = os.environ['REFINITIV_APP_KEY']
rdp.open_desktop_session(app_key)
response = rdp.HistoricalPricing.get_events('VOD.L')
print(response.data.df)
historicaleikon-desktop-data-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

<AHS>

Awaiting for an update from develoment

<AHS>

hi @zoya faberov ,

are there any update from the development team please?

<AHS>

chased and will provide an update if any

hi @zoya faberov ,

are there any update from the development team please?

Show more comments
<AHS>

Remains in progress, I have chased with development team

hi @s397432

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @s397432 and all,

Conveying the resolution from the relevant support case;

"

As per checking and confirmation with our Entitlements Team, your account does not include the RDP Package, hence, you have no access or permission. To request entitlement or add RDP Package in your account, please engage with your Account Manager ... "

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @s397432 ,

I have tested the following:

import os
import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
app_key = 'myValidAPPKey'
rdp.open_desktop_session(app_key)
response = rdp.HistoricalPricing.get_events('VOD.L')
print(response.data.df)

Getting back the valid result, therefore, do not believe there is an issue with your code.

I would like to suggest, to re-test the same code with the latest RDP library, by upgrading it to the latest on your test python environment:

python -m pip install refinitiv-dataplatform --upgrade

as this looks like one of the issues, known in one of the older releases, and then fixed by the next RDP library release.

You may also wish, to take the opportunity to test with the next generation of RDP API Libraries: Refinitiv Data Library

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 2 2 5

Upgrading has not changed anything, issue is still ongoing

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @s397432

Can you please advise what if anything the following returns

display(response.status)

and possibly

display(response.data.raw)

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 2 2 5

response.status => {'http_status_code': 401, 'http_reason': 'Unauthorized'}

response.data.raw => {'code': 401, 'message': 'An empty location header is received while retrieving RDP access token', 'statusMessage': 'Unauthorized'}

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @s397432

So, the above indicates that your Eikon licence does not seem to include historical data - certainly not for the VOD.L RIC.

Can you try a typically 'free' RIC such as EUR= - just to see if that works for you?

Regardless, you should speak to your Refinitiv Account team to discuss your Eikon Licence flavour.

ADD: Have any RDP type calls to a Desktop session worked for you? I am not an Eikon licensing expert, but my understanding is that certain Eikon Licences do not allow any API access?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 2 2 5

I have the same error with EUR=

Moreover, this function works very well with open_platform_session using the above 2 RICs. Is really a licensing issue or a technical issue ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 2 2 5

streaming data works using Desktop session

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

hi @s397432

The data/content licenced for you MachineId etc used for a platform session can well differ to the content licenced for the Eikon product.

I can access the above data using both desktop session and platform session - however, I also occasionally find some data/content that I can access with Desktop but not with Platform and vice-versa.

One thing I forgot to ask - what version of the RDP library are you using - in case it is an older buggy one?

I am using

rdp.__version__
1.0.0a13

See PyPi for the latest version

refinitiv-dataplatform · PyPI

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 2 2 5

I am using the same version as you, you can see in my previous reply that I have just upgraded.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @s397432

Thanks for confirming. In which case, please reach out to your Refinitiv Account team - so they can check your historical data API access in Eikon/Workspace.

icon clock
10 |1500

@s397432

Please hang fire - a colleague has suggested this could be an API Proxy issue? Will update soon. Thanks

This is a private post - only visible to moderators and the OP.
Pierre has responded directly to the customer via email

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @s397432

Are you connecting via a company VPN? If so, can you confirm it works without a VPN?

As mentioned earlier, this does appear to be an Eikon API Proxy issue and the Proxy team are still investigating...

icon clock
10 |1500

we are not using a VPN

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.