Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 4 7

How to get RIC from get_news_story result?

What is the cleanest way to get the RIC data out from the get_news_story return value?

Can you share a beautiful soup or json parser snippet for isolating the RICs?

eikon-data-apipython
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @mjg ,

Try:

storyResult = ek.get_news_story(story_id, True, True)
storyResult['story']['storyHtml']
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
soup = BeautifulSoup(storyResult['story']['storyHtml'])

for a in soup.find_all('a', href=True):
    if a['data-type'] == 'ric':
        print("Found:", a['data-type'], a['data-ric'])

On my side, this results in:

rics.gif

rics.gif (2.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 1 4 7

thanks - i am not a beautiful soup expert so having that snippet is helpful. how would i know for sure, besides inspecting manually or asking you, that all RIC data would be in the "<a href" blocks of the return value?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @mjg,

I don't believe that this level of detail is discussed in EDAPI Reference Guide as, in my opinion, the raw version of the story that is made available is intended for presentation, display, layout, often as HTML, but it is not ideally suited for the task of finding what companies the story is about.

To take the question wider, to know with certainly, what companies/instruments the story is mainly about, RDP News product is much better targeted, as each story comes categorized with rich matadata, including Subjects list, including RICs and Permids, that the story is about.

To take this one step further, and to obtain the calculated relevance of the subject to the story, as well as other news analytics, can be done with News Analytics product.

Hope that this information is of help

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.