question

Upvotes
Accepted
2 0 1 3

Can sink_driven_src or rmdstestserver provide dictionary?

Hi,

We have an application has to download dictionary from upstream. To run a playback test, we need to somehow provide the dictionary from sink_driven_src or rmdstestserver. Is there a way for those tools to provide dictionary?

Regards,

Ty

elektronrefinitiv-realtimetrepinfrastructureelektron-data-dictionary
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
79.8k 257 52 74

TREP stands for Thomson Reuters Enterprise Platform. It is a networked data distribution architecture for the financial marketplace.

Its main components are the Advanced Data Hub (ADH), which is a data feed server, and the Advanced Distribution Server (ADS), which distributes data and updates to consuming applications.

The consumer (rmdstestclient) can directly connect to the provider (sink_driven_src or rmdstestserver) or connect to TREP in order to retreive the data, as shown in the below picture.

You can have multiple consumers connecting to TREP in order to retrieve the data.

For more information, please refer to https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/thomson-reuters-enterprise-platform or contact your account team for more information.

trep.png (41.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

You can download ADH and ADS from Software Downloads. It is in Category MDS - Infra. However, it requires a license file to run ADH and ADS. If you are unable to see the package or don't have a license file, please contact your account team for further assistance.

In your scenario, you require only ADS. ADS can run in POP (Point of Presence) mode. ADS in POP mode is a hybrid application which acts as a consumer and provider in the same process.

ADS POP will connect to rmdstestserver as a consumer and it also acts as a provider by accepting the connection and providing the data to the consumer.

adspop.png (6.1 KiB)

This looks promising. Thanks! Let me try this weekend.

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. My question is rather about how can I have TREP between consumer and rmdstestserver. I understand the consumer can connect to TREP but then how TREP can connect to rmdstestserver? I've thought that the consumer can connect to TREP *or* rmdstestserver. The concept that the consumer connects to rmdstestserver through TREP is quite new to me. This consumer can connect to only one service.

Thanks, I confirm it is working. In fact, I was already running an ADS POP instance but just did not realize that I could hook up rmdstestserver to the instance.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

@ty.hahn

Hello Ty,

I think you meant rmdstestclient.

Within rmdstestclient, if you are on RSSL, there is an option to dump out the dictionary used by the infrastructure:

-ddict 
Conditional. Dumps the data dictionary being used by TREP components (i.e., an ADS) to the log file (False). You can use this option only when you are connecting to the source via RSSL (refer to the -ct option).

I would also try consider, if the app needs the dictionaries from the infra, if a better way forward would be to download the dictionary using the API already in use by the app, and utilize internally, within the app.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi Zoya,

First of all, thanks for your comment. I think rmdstestserver is correct. What I'm trying to do is run a performance test on an application by playing back recorded market data. Thing is that the application can't load the dictionary from file. It just needs to download it from the service it subscribes and I can't find a way for rmdstestserver or sink_driven_src to provide the dictionary like regular Reuters services do.

Regards,

Ty

Upvotes
79.8k 257 52 74

sink_driven_src and rmdstestserver can't provide dictionary.

You need to have TREP between rmdstestserver (or sink_driven_src) and the consumer. TREP can provide the dictionary to the consumer.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi,

Sorry but could you explain what you mean by "have TREP"? So far, we always have the consumer directly connect to rmdstestserver. Is there a way somehow put TREP between rmdstestserver and consumer?

Best regards,

Ty

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.