Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
0 0 0 2

Issues when downloading data

Hi,

I’m using Python for downloading Guidance Summary stuff. The idea is to *not* download the rows in which the value that I'm interesting in (e.g., “low value” or “high value”) is NaN so I can reduce the number of downloads. Also, it seems that sometimes there are duplicate rows. Is there any way of filter this out as well?

Finally, just a quick question about the download limit: What is that limit? Imagine we have a table of 100 rows and 100 columns. Then, we have 100*100 = 10000 cells. Do they count as 10000 downloads?

Thanks!

python#technology#productpython apiguidance
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @ruben.fernandez, May I ask: which API are you using in Python? You can search for APIs here and filter for python on the left top let us know.
Hi @jonathan.legrand, thanks for your answer. I'm using Eikon Data API.

Hi @ruben.fernandez, May I ask for a code snippet of the 'Guidance Summary stuff' request using EDAPI? This would help my investigation, especially as I don't think there is a way to know in advance which columns/rows are NaN. This would help me replicate the Duplicated Row issue you outlined.

Upvotes
Accepted
5.9k 21 2 6

Hi @ruben.fernandez,

Unfortunately, there is no way to proactively return only rows without `NaN`s for the fields you are after using the `get_data` function. The reason for this is that, while you may see `NaN`s for the fields you searched, there are others for which there is data (e.g.: 'TR.ASKPRICE') (see screenshot below); you can find such fields in DIB. Have you tried using Search?

1679914978493.png

N.B.: I suggest that you use the Refinitiv Data Library for Python as opposed to EDAPI. More details on why here.

1679914978493.png (65.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I didn't know that search function. I will take a look on it. Thanks.
Upvotes
5.9k 21 2 6

Hi @ruben.fernandez, for EDAPI (Eikon Data API), you can find information on this very Q&A. Searching there I found a post that may answer your question: 'Data limit reached?'. It links to the EDAPI Usage and Limits Guideline. Does this contain the answer you were after?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @jonathan.legrand. Thanks a lot. That answer the very last question of the data limit, yes. Do you know something about the two previous ones? Thanks!
Upvotes
5.9k 21 2 6

Hi @ruben.fernandez , May I ask for a code snippet of the 'Guidance Summary stuff' request using EDAPI? This would help my investigation, especially as I don't think there is a way to know in advance which columns/rows are NaN. This would help me replicate the Duplicated Row issue you outlined.

icon clock
10 |1500

Sure.

It's this one. You should use your particular api_key but that's it. I don't think that there's a way as well, but just in case... Thanks!

fields = ['TR.GuidanceDate',

'TR.GuidanceMeasure',

'TR.GuidanceMeasureBasis',

'TR.GuidancePeriodYear',

'TR.GuidancePeriodMonth',

'TR.GuidanceAcctType',

'TR.GuidanceUnitType',

'TR.GuidanceSegmentType',

'TR.GuidanceDataForm',

'TR.GuidanceDataBasis',

'TR.GuidanceLowValue',

'TR.GuidanceHighValue',

'TR.GuidanceText',

'TR.GuidanceDocType']

data, err = ek.get_data('WMT',

fields,

{'Period':'FY1',

'FRQ':'FQ',

'SDate':'2021-01-01',

'EDate':'2022-12-31',

'GuidDataForm': 'SNG',

'GuidMeasure':'EPS:EBIT:EBITDA'

}

)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.