Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 1

Can't get API to work in local script (works in codebook)

Trying to fetch some historical data from Eikon API. I am running the following code:

# Importing libraries
import eikon as ek
import datetime
import pandas as pd
ek.set_app_key('MY APP KEY')
# Defining start time for the data series
start = datetime.datetime.now() - datetime.timedelta(days=1)  # 1 day ago
end = datetime.datetime.now()
# Defining lists with RIC's under interest
rics = ['US10YT=RR']
# Fetching intraday time series data with 1-minute intervals 
data = ek.get_timeseries(rics, start_date=start, end_date=end, interval='minute', fields="CLOSE")
print(data)

This works in the codebook editor in the application, where I get the wanted output. However, when I try to run this script on my local device I get the following error:

2023-12-13 15:56:01,612 P[33280] [MainThread 26372] HTTP request failed: EikonError-Client Error: <!-- IE friendly error message walkround.

if error message from server is less than

512 bytes IE v5+ will use its own error

message instead of the one returned by

server. -->

... Together with a lot of HTML code. It seems like it somehow connects, since I don't get an error, but I don't get the data either. Is there a solution for this?

#technologypython apierror-403html
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
1.3k 3 2 4

Ok, next step is to check if how local Eikon API Proxy manages timeseries request.

As @aramyan.h suggested, you can read this article on troubleshooting, especially section 1) Check Desktop Applications. The SxS log file should contains errors.

One common issue could be due to user proxy:

1. check your proxy settings to retrieve the ip address
  2. create HTTP_PROXY and/or HTTPS_PROXY environment variables (https://www.python-httpx.org/environment_variables/#http_proxy-https_proxy-all_proxy)
    Note that Eikon Desktop need it in its environment.
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
5.6k 18 2 7

Hi @jubu,

Do you have Workspace/Eikon running on the background?

Bes regards,

Haykaz

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @aramyan.h, yes I have.

Upvotes
5.6k 18 2 7

Hi @jubu ,

This might be a proxy/firewall related issue which you would need to ask your IT team to whitelist. There are two similar questions in the portal, please check this and this. And have a look also at this article on troubleshooting.

Hope this will help you to resolve the issue.

Best regards,

Haykaz

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1.3k 3 2 4

Hi @jubu ,

Before investigating, can the following code be used to check whether the session has been successfully initialised?

# Importing libraries
import eikon as ek
import datetime
import pandas as pd
ek.set_app_key('MY APP KEY')
print(ek.get_desktop_session().get_open_state())
# Defining start time for the data series
start = datetime.datetime.now() - datetime.timedelta(days=1)  # 1 day ago
end = datetime.datetime.now()
# Defining lists with RIC's under interest
rics = ['US10YT=RR']
# Fetching intraday time series data with 1-minute intervals 
data = ek.get_timeseries(rics, start_date=start, end_date=end, interval='minute', fields="CLOSE")
print(data)

It should display:

State.Open

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi pf, your code works and it does indeed print "State.Open".

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.