Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
2 0 0 0

Downloading the constituents for the Russell 3000

Hi all, I hope you can help me with this. I am trying to download the constituents of the Russel3000 for a given date. The exact same query works for, say, stoxx600, but not for the russel 3000.

I have seen other topics on this but I haven't been able ot replicate the solutions e..g here:

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/51945/cant-get-constituents-of-russell-index-1.html

The query that I use is:

ek.get_data("0#.RUT","TR.RIC")

and

ek.get_data("0#.RUT(2020-06-30)","TR.RIC")

both return no data and throw a code 413 error ('unable to resolve some identifiers)

Thanks for the help

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidataDownload
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
10.3k 18 6 9

Hi @Alex A. thanks for your question - first off 0#.RUT is the Russell2000 - not Russell3000 - so make sure you are looking for the right index.

In terms of your queries - the first one is working ok for me:

Your second query does return the same error as you are experiencing:

This maybe because we do not carry historical constituents for all indices - you would need to raise a content query to check that.

In this thread it was suggested that you can try a screener query - this does indeed return a list of stocks - but the number is 1999 not 2000:

df3, err = ek.get_data('SCREEN(U(IN(indices(4387873/*Russell 2000 */))/*UNV:Public*/))',['TR.CommonName']) df3

Another workaround from this thread suggests this approach to the historical constituent list - which also returns a list of stocks - though this numbers 2006 not 2000.

df4, err = ek.get_data('.RUT', ['TR.IndexConstituentRIC' , 'TR.IndexConstituentName'], {'SDate':'20200630'}) df4

Probably best to check with the helpdesk to see if you have the correct permissions for Russell 2000 as some indices are fee-liable and you may need to add separate access to those - perhaps this is why the first query is not returning anything for you. Please include this thread in your communications with them.

I hope this can help.

1595412459444.png (86.0 KiB)
1595412535640.png (56.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.