For a deeper look into our DataScope Select REST API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials

question

Upvotes
1 0 1 2

Long Running Requests Return no Progress Update - DSS C# SDK

I have a question around the extractwithnotes async call. When running short requests I have no issue seeing the progress of the job on the callback method however when there is a larger request there is no progress or status update (as far as I can tell). The application awaits the aysnc result but it never actually arrives, even if left overnight.

Is there some step I am missing when handling the long running requests? based on the examples I am seemingly handling this in the right manner but something isn't quite right.

Snap shot of calling code:

var progress = new Progress<HttpAsyncStatus>(Handler);

var job = await ExtractionsContext.ExtractWithNotesAsync(extractionRequest, new CancellationToken(false), progress);

Any advice would be appreciated as the examples aren't overly clear on this matter.

dss-rest-apidatascope-selectdssextractionbulk-downloadasynchronous
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
22.6k 59 14 21

Hi @alex.smith,

The server returns a HTTP-202 Accepted response for async calls. Upon investigating the HTTP response, I see that the progress header is not populated. It might be a bug or an incomplete feature in the DSS service. I would raise a service ticket with product, on your behalf.

HTTP/1.1 202 Accepted
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Expires: -1
Location: https://selectapi.datascope.refinitiv.com/RestApi/v1/Extractions/ExtractRawResult(ExtractionId='0x07969d71f57cba22')
Server: Microsoft-IIS/10.0
Progress: 
X-Request-Execution-Correlation-Id: CiD/9011672/AAAAAA.07969c75cf3cba20/RA
X-App-Id: Custom.RestApi
X-App-Version: 14.5.72.64
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:11:33 GMT
Content-Length: 0

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

If i'm using the C# SDK does the 202 get returned in some way that I can interrogate it? Also aside from the progress feature being empty, when waiting for a long running request I get no timeout or error even if the request has been running for more than 3 hours. Does the session on the DSS side timeout and not return anything? Just trying to work out a way of handling the long running requests thanks

No. 202 is handled by the SDK and not visible to application. The session does not get timed out - you just have to wait longer. You can try to use a intercepting-proxy like Fiddler to capture the HTTP interaction between the server and SDK.

Upvote
22.6k 59 14 21

Hi @alex.smith,

I have raised a ticket #09972123 for you. You should directly receive the updates from the DSS support team in email.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.1k 57 17 14

Hello @alex.smith

Could you please let us know if you got the answer from the DSS support team via ticket #09972123?

If so, could you please share the answer in this post as it could be beneficial to other users?

If not, you can contact the DSS support team via ticket #09972123 email thread.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @alex.smith ,

Looks like the support case was closed for the lack of input.

I am hoping that the question was answered outside of the developer forums.

If this is the case, we would appreciate a quick summary of the resolution, as it would help the next developers with the same or similar question?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.