Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
7 2 4 10

Extracting Deals using API not possible at all

I am referring to this thread I opened quite a while ago: https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/88111/extracting-deals-wont-working-anymore-when-using-f.html?childToView=88561#answer-88561

The support got in touch with me and told me that a team would take care of the bug over the weekend of the 17. and 18. December. Since this weekend, extracting deals using the API doesn't work for some time periods at all. Even though I do understand that fixing the error may take a long time, the API has been useless to me for almost a month now.

The Support did a good job, keeping me updated and told me that the developer team found some issues during the testing and wasn't able to fix the bug.

Using the following code, extracting deals works just fine for the period given (01/01/1990 to 31/12/2002).

criteria = "SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)/*UNV:DEALSMNA*/), \
            BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,19900101, 20021231)/*dt:Date*/, \
            IN(TR.MnAStatus,""C""), \
            TR.MnADealValue(Scale=6,IncludeNull=False)>=1, \
            IN(TR.MnAFormType,""A"",""AA"",""AC"",""AM"",""AR"",""M""), CURN=USD)"

display = ["TR.MnASDCDealNumber",
           "TR.MnAAnnDate",
           "TR.MnAAcquiror",
           "TR.MnATarget",
           "TR.MnAAcquirorNation",
           "TR.MnATargetNation",
           "TR.MnADealValue", 
           "TR.MnAAcquirorPublicStatus",
           "TR.MnATargetPublicStatus",
           "TR.MnAStatus",
           "TR.MnAPctOfSharesOwnedPostMerger",
          ] 
deals, er =ek.get_data(criteria,display,debug=True)

However, if I am about to change the time period (01/01/1990 to 31/12/2010), I receive a useless output:

API_Deals_Bug.JPG

Also, when I change back the time period to 31/12/2002 for example, the code won't work either and gives back the empty df.

eikonpythonapideals
api-deals-bug.jpg (84.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
14.4k 30 5 10

hi @flammers

This question appears to be a duplicate of this previous discussion thread

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
10.3k 18 6 9

@flammers I believe the reason your call is not working is because of data limits. The Screener query you posted is returning over 85,000 deals and then 12 fields for each deal from 1990 to 2002. That you want to increase this date out further to 2010 is even further over the limits so you must expect it to fail. The limit (please familiarise yourself with this document as a number of throttles are in operation) for the get_data API is around 10,000 datapoints per API call as opposed to the over 1 million datapoints you are requesting. I suggest you reduce the date range to annual or monthly ie you make 1 separate API call for each year or month in your daterange. You can then append them together to get the larger dataframe you wish to use. You can check to see the size of the universe returned using the SCREENER app in Eikon. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.