Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

Identifier conversion to RIC

Hello,

I am trying to get the RIC of a list of banks I got through S&P Capital IQ. For each bank, I have their name, their primary industry, and sometimes their SNL, CIQ, CUSIP, ISIN and LEI identifiers. I converted the ISIN codes to RIC by using the code: ek.get_symbology( symbol = ISIN , from_symbol_type = "ISIN", to_symbol_type = "RIC"). However, I only have a limited number of ISIN identifiers available (only for one third of my sample). The problem is similar for the CUSIP identifier. I have much more SNL, CIQ and LEI identifiers, but they does not seem to be supported as inputs for the function ek.get_symbology. Do you know if there is a function where we could use either the CIQ, the LEI identifiers or even the name of the banks to get their RIC?

Thanks a lot in advance.

eikoneikon-data-apiisinric
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
17.8k 82 39 63

Hi @eikon114

There is an RDP service (symbology) that will support the conversions you are after. For example, converting the following LEI to a RIC:

import refinitiv.data as rd
# Symbology
request_definition = rd.delivery.endpoint_request.Definition(
    method = rd.delivery.endpoint_request.RequestMethod.POST,
    url = 'https://api.refinitiv.com/discovery/symbology/v1/lookup',
    body_parameters = {         # Specify body parameters
        "from": [
            {
                "identifierTypes": ["LEI"],
                "values": ["549300561UZND4C7B569"]
            }
        ],
        "to": [
            {
                "identifierTypes": ["RIC"]
            }
        ],
        "path": [
            {
                "relationshipTypes": ["InverseIsPrimarySecurityOf"],
                "objectTypes": [
                    {
                        "from": "Organization",
                        "to": "AnyInstrument"
                    }
                ]
            },
            {
                "relationshipTypes": ["InverseIsValuationQuoteOf"],
                "objectTypes": [
                    {
                        "from": "AnyInstrument",
                        "to": "AnyQuote"
                    }
                ]
            }
        ],
        "reference": ["name","status","classification"],
        "type": "strict"
    }
)
response = request_definition.get_data()
# Dump the json response from the platform containing the results
response.data.raw
{'data': [
   {
      'input': [
      {
         'value': '549300561UZND4C7B569',     
         'identifierType': 'LEI'
      }],   
      'output': [
      {
         'value': 'TRI.TO',     
         'identifierType': 'RIC',     
         'name': 'THOMSON REUTERS ORD',     
         'status': 'Active',     
         'classification': 'Ordinary Shares'
      }]
   }], 
 'requestId': 'cae84148-61ce-4b1c-aac9-e2036035a519', 
 'effectiveAt': '2022-03-21T15:43:21.313Z', 
 'messages': []
}
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
5.9k 21 2 6

Hi @eikon114,

Judging by the function `ek.get_symbology` mentioned in your question, I'm guessing that you're coding in Python?

Have you seen this answer (below) from my colleague? Does it answer your question?

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/72028/get-all-quotes-in-an-instrument-via-permid-api.html

If the above fails to help you, may I ask if searching the LEI, CIQ or name of the banks in the Eikon/Workspace search bar returns the correct RIC you're after? If so, I'd suggest using the Search API in Python. There's a great article on just that here:
https://developers.refinitiv.com/en/article-catalog/article/building-search-into-your-application-workflow

I also wrote a function that uses this API to output data in excel if that interests you. It is yet to be put into an article:

https://gist.github.com/johnukfr/241c2b360a30f96371f430005c8d7738

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 89 12 25

Hi @eikon114

The above suggestion requires access to the PermID API.

If you don't have access to PermID API, you can also take a look at a simple bulk symbology conversion example I put together for a client - using the RDP Library - which can connect to Eikon as well as the Refinitiv Data Platform.

GitHub - Refinitiv-API-Samples/Example.RDPLibrary.Python.ConvertSymbology: Simple notebook to convert ISINs (or other Symbology) to RICs using the Refinitiv Data Platform Symbology API

The above defaults to converting ISINs to RICS - but you can easily change the code to use others such as LEI.

You can run the above example against Eikon by creating a desktop session (rather than the platform session)

session = rdp.open_desktop_session(APP_KEY)

Note, however, that we will be replacing the RDP Library with the newer RD library - which also offers similar as well as additional features to the RDP library.

See the Symbology Tutorial for the RD Library

Symbology Tutorial | Refinitiv Developers

as well as the Endpoint tutorial - which is the interface used by my example above.

Endpoint Tutorial | Refinitiv Developers

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
80k 257 52 75

@eikon114

You can use LEIs with the get_data method to get RICs. For example:

df, err = ek.get_data(
    instruments = ['549300561UZND4C7B569@LEI','WFLLPEPC7FZXENRZV188@LEI'],
    fields = ['TR.RIC']
)
df

The output is:

1647923887049.png

With the get_symbology method, you can set best_match=False to get all mapped symbols.

ek.get_symbology( symbol = ISIN , from_symbol_type = "ISIN", to_symbol_type = "RIC", best_match=False)

1647923887049.png (5.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.