Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
19 1 1 8

Historical and scheduled dates and time of an economic event per Eikon API via Python

I would like to get historical and scheduled dates and time of an economic event per Eikon API via Python. Could you pls advise how to do it?

I try like this:

fields = ['TR.IndicatorName','TR.IndicatorType','TR.IndicatorSource' ,
          'GN_TXT16_3', #GMT Date
          'VALUE_TS1', #Time 
          'CTBTR_1LL', #Period
          'GN_TXT16_4', #Actual
          'ECON_ACT','FCAST_PRD','ECI_ACT_DT' ] 
data = ek.get_data('USFOMC=ECI', fields, {'SDate':'2019-12-12','EDate':'2023-10-01','Frq':'W'}) 

But I receive only 1 line (latest event)

Thank you

eikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apieconomic-data
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
14.4k 30 5 10

Hi @Anufriyev ,

1) Here's the description of the field found in the Code Creator app inside the Refinitiv Workspace/Eikon Desktop app

1666000880075.png

If you'd like to know how the value is assigned to this field in detail, the moderators on this forum do not have deep expertise in every type of content available through Refinitiv products. Such expertise is available through Refinitiv Helpdesk, which can be reached via MyRefinitiv.

2) To get the codes of all economic indicators, you may try to check the articles below and please let us know in case there are any further questions

1666000880075.png (50.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
80k 257 52 75

@Anufriyev

Sorry for the issue you are facing, let me see if I can help you in resolving this.

Those fields that don't have the "TR." prefix are real-time fields that don't provide historical data.

You can try the get_history method in the Refinitiv Data Libary for Python to get historical data of USFOMC=ECI.

1665116762085.png

The RD Library Python examples are available on GitHub.

Otherwise, you can contact the Eikon or Workspace support team directly via MyRefinitiv and ask for fields that can be used in the Excel function to retrieve the required data.

I hope this will help.

1665116762085.png (12.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
14.4k 30 5 10

Hi @Anufriyev ,

Checked using Codecreator (or Data Item Browser) app in Eikon Desktop (Tutorial video can be found here) and found that these fields aren't supported for the series function (this can be checked in the Parameters & Quick Functions tab in the app)

1665117177344.png

Below is an example of the field that support data in series function (Field TR.TotalReturn)

1665117408965.png

However, to get the data you're looking for, as the moderators on this forum do not have deep expertise in every type of content available through Refinitiv products. Such expertise is available through Refinitiv Helpdesk. If the Helpdesk can show you how to retrieve it using =@TR formula in Eikon Excel, then the moderators on this forum can help you translate it into get_data method in Eikon Data API call. Refinitiv Helpdesk can be reached via MyRefinitiv and you may request from them the =@TR formula in Eikon Excel which can be used to retrieve the data you would like to get.

Hope this helps and please let me know in case you have any questions

1665117177344.png (54.5 KiB)
1665117408965.png (32.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
19 1 1 8

Thank you for the hints. The heldesk sent me here saying that here I could find more expertise :)

And what about upcoming/scheduled dates? Is there a posibility to retrieve this data for economic indicators?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
10.3k 18 6 9

@Anufriyev So the following query gives other info related to economic releases - some you might find useful - importantly field 'NDOR_1' is the Next Date of Release for the indicator:

data, err = ek.get_data(['USFOMC=ECI'],['DSPLY_NMLL','RELEVANCE','ACT_REL_ST','ECI_ACT_DT','ACT_VAL_NS','UNIT_PREFX','FCAST_PRD','RPT_UNITS','ECON_ACT','ECON_PRIOR','RTR_POLL','FCAST_SEST','FCAST_ACRY','NDOR_1'],{'Frq':'M'}) 

data

1665136091751.png

I hope this can help.

1665136091751.png (78.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
19 1 1 8

Thank you for the answer, Jason.

I have 2 further questions:

1) Among the fields you were using there is 'RELEVANCE'. Is there a description of the methodology how the values are assigned?

2) Is the there a way to get the codes of all economic indicators (e.g. relevant for USA)? I saw there is smth like 'ECONALLHK', what I suppose all indicators for Honk-Kong. But I don't know how to us it.

Thx,

Sasha

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.