Accepted
646 21 32 41

COM RHistory API C++ example

Is there any sample in c++ ?

Thanks

eikoneikon-com-apic++
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

There isn't because unlike all other Eikon COM APIs RHistory API can only be used in Excel VBA.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Excel plugin uses COM to communicate with desktop application. COM is a standard technology that does not depend on a language. So how come it's possible to use it in VBA, but not in other languages?

It's not a generic limitation. RHistory COM library could very well have been built like all other Eikon COM APIs libraries: for use outside of Excel as well as within Excel. But it wasn't. For reasons I cannot explain here it was built with a dependency on Eikon Excel COM add-in, and this is why it can only be used in Excel VBA. More specifically it can only be used inside Excel.exe process that has Eikon Excel COM add-in loaded. It cannot for instance be used in Outlook or MS Access VBA.

You mentioned .Net API can be used in C++ application. Could you give me any example? I checked the downloads. There is only c#. Also, what technology is used to communicate with Eikon app in .Net API?

I'm afraid we don't have a C++ example of using Eikon .NET API. There's never been sufficient demand to justify the effort to produce such an example. The communication between Eikon .NET API and Eikon application is over named pipes.

Is there any option for C++ to get time series data?

Show more comments
Upvotes
646 21 32 41

what about AdfinX Real-Time API with CreateAdxRtHistory ?

icon clock
10 |1500

This is a legacy object retrieving timeseries from a legacy source that deemed to be sunset. It should not be used in any new projects.
If you need to retrieve timeseries of price history into a C++ application, use Eikon .NET API. You can use it alongside Eikon COM APIs.

Are you saying there is no way to request timeseries data using COM API with C++? I'm looking for the data that can be seen in Time & Sales window in Eikon Desktop application (trading history).

Correct. The only way to retrieve time & sales data into a C++ application is by using Eikon .NET APIs. It is however perfectly possible to use both Eikon COM and Eikon .NET APIs in the same C++ application.

Show more comments
Upvotes
646 21 32 41

@Alex Putkov. by Eikon Data Api you mean APIs for Python?

I'm only seeing Python API reference guide there.

icon clock
10 |1500

Yes, that's what I mean, although Eikon Data APIs are not specifically for Python per se. Python ease of use library is the only one we officially support, but there are also ready available similar open source community owned libraries for R and .NET, and more open source language specific implementations are envisaged in the future. And underlying these ease of use language specific libraries are language agnostic REST and Websockets APIs, which have not yet been made public, but will be. We refer to all of this collectively as Eikon Data APIs.

Understood. Thank you

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.