question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 2

We would like to make use of data feed toolbox in Matlab for Thomson Reuters EIKON (using EIKON API).

Would you please provide me all the necessary codes and DLLs. I have the API documentation already

eikoneikon-com-apimatlab
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Nirmal Parekh

Hi.

Thanks for posting this question. I am wondering if there is a reason why you posted it with visibility private to TR developers (see padlock above). If this is not sensitive information I would like to change it so the entire internal & External community can see it. Do you agree?

Thanks,
AHS

Make public and move to Eikon COM forum

@Nirmal Parekh

Hi.

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks

AHS

@Nirmal Parekh

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Eikon interface of Matlab Datafeed Toolbox utilizes Eikon COM APIs, which are always installed as part of Eikon. There is nothing additional that needs to be installed.
This said, to the best of my knowledge Mathworks withdrew support for Eikon interface of Matlab Datafeed Toolbox. One reason is that the COM libraries utilized by this interface are only available as 32-bit libraries, which cannot be used by 64-bit Matlab, which is more prevalent now than 32-bit version. The support status of Eikon interface of Maltab Datafeed Toolbox would be best confirmed with Mathworks, as it is their product, not Thomson Reuters one. My recommendation however for any client wishing to retrieve market data or timeseries of price history from Eikon into Matlab is to use Eikon .NET SDK. This SDK exists as both 32-bit and 64-bit variants. The documentation is available following the link below.

http://eikondeveloper.thomsonreuters.com

Once presented with the sign-in screen click on the link saying "Click here for .NET Data API Access only (limited access, use only per Thomson Reuters recommendation)", then click the Login button.
I'm afraid we do not have code samples for Matlab. The only code samples available are .NET ones, which you can obtain from the link above. However it cannot be hard to figure out how to instantiate .NET assemblies from Matlab, and then use Eikon .Net SDK to retrieve the data.
In the past we could not produce Matlab code samples because Mathworks denied us support licenses to use Matlab. Only very recently we got a few licenses from them, and now I intend to produce Matlab code samples to share with clients.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Great answer! Is this the case today end of 2017?

Alex Putkov.1 avatar image Alex Putkov.1 daniel.fernandez1@refinitiv.com

Hi Daniel,
A few things changed in over a year since this post was created.
- Mathworks stopped producing 32-bit version of Matlab. All new versions of Matlab are 64-bit only.
- Mathworks withdrew support for Eikon as a data source in Datafeed Toolbox, although it still works in older 32-bit versions of Matlab.
- We now have an example of using Eikon .NET SDK in Matlab on TR Developer portal:
https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/article/example-how-use-eikon-alongside-matlab-retrieve-time-series-financial-instruments

Alex Putkov.1 avatar image Alex Putkov.1 daniel.fernandez1@refinitiv.com

Using Eikon .NET SDK in Matlab is considerably more involved than using the simplistic interface Datafeed Toolbox provides. On the bright side, with Eikon .NET SDK users don't need to pay for Datafeed Toolbox, which comes at a considerable cost.

Upvotes
78.8k 250 52 74

There are few APIs for Eikon. What API document do you have?

You can download APIs and examples from https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/home. Under "APIs by Product", please select Eikon.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
966 11 21 26

Data feed toolbox is software provided my Matlab. As Eikon has various APIs, I think it would be better to confirm with them which Eikon API it has a dependency on. Then you can use this portal to get the required dlls etc

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
22k 58 14 21

Matlab has confirmed that Eikon is no longer supported for data feed and their product page will be updated to reflect that.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.