question

Upvotes
22 3 3 2

Excel crashes around 60% of times when using RHistoryAPI.dll

Hi team, I am using COM API within Excel's VBA environment to download historical pricing data for a few dozen stocks. However, when I run these codes, around 60% of times, my Excel will crash half way through the data download process.

I have been experiencing the same issue for over one year, and so far I cannot find a solution. Sometimes the download was smooth, without crashing Excel or encountering any problems. But 60% of the times, Excel crashes half way through the download. So, sometimes the download works and sometimes the download crashes Excel.

The windows error log looks as such. For each Excel crash, windows generates a similar error log.

And, during successful download (i.e., without crashing Excel), windows also registers an error message. See below.

Again, this issue has been around for at least one year, since 2019. I have tried downloading on several different PCs -- I experienced the same issue, Excel crashes in about 60% of time.

Could it be a 64-bit Excel problem? (I am on 64-bit Excel) Any ideas how to resolve this Excel crashing issue when using RHistoryAPI.dll? Many thanks.

eikoneikon-com-api
erorr-1.png (50.0 KiB)
error-2.png (45.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Escalated by email to Eric Havrilla. Meanwhile if anyone can suggest how to avoid this please do.

The client has shared the application and it can be used to replicate the issue.

The case 09490487 has been created for this issue.

<AHS> Case 09490487 is still in progress and the problem has not been resolved.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
78.8k 250 52 74

@JZ

For the crash issue, I am unable to replicate the issue by using the example code in Tutorial 9 - RHistoryAPI. Please share the Excel file. Therefore, we can use it to replicate the issue.

For the second issue, I can replicate the problem. I can solve it by copying PLDataProvider.dll and PLDataProvider.dll.manifest from C:\Program Files (x86)\Thomson Reuters\Eikon\Z\Bin\Apps\TR.OFFICE.CORE\0.0.0.0\Bin to the directory reported in the Windows event (C:\Program Files (x86)\Thomson Reuters\Eikon\Z\Bin). You can search those files on your machine.

You need to report the second issue to the Eikon support team via MyRefinitiv.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.