For a deeper look into our World Check One API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 1

Intermittent outage of the MEDIA_CHECK API again

I am facing an issue with the world check media check API. For the same request we are intermittently receiving a 200 and 500 internal sever response code. We are not sure why this is happening and the error doesn’t have any specific reason as to why it’s failing other than saying

1. MEDIA_CHECK_DETAILS_RETRIEVAL_FAILED

.This is happening in the QA env as of now and we are worried this will happen in production as well. This issue has happened in the past as well, but didn't last this long. Could someone advise what to do?

Thank you.

world-checkworldcheck-one-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
1.3k 4 1 2

@meneely

We appreciate your patience, we have investigated the issue and analyzed your traffic in detail.

We observed that these intermittent 500 errors were seen before 13th October as well and there is a pattern to these errors, they occur when you try to retrieve the media check results via the /mediacheck/results endpoint immediately after case creation.

We have reproduced this error on our side as well and from your logs, we can confirm that every time there is a 500 error it is because there has been an attempt to fetch the results at the same time or within a second of the case creation.

So the workaround for this issue is that you add at least 3 seconds delay between case creation and Media Check results retrieval.

Let us know if you would like more insights into this and please test the workaround it should resolve the intermittent 500s.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1.3k 4 1 2

@meneely

Could you share the complete request and response headers of this failed media_check call?

It will help us in digging deeper into the issue, meanwhile, I will check with my product if this has been seen before.

Request you to also provide me the below details:

1. Is there any pattern to this issue? do you see this error at a certain time of the day or month?

2. I see you have mentioned this happens for the same request but have you seen this error when you deal with other cases as well? like when you screen names Xyz etc.

3. This is an intermittent issue but can you possibly quantify them?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 1 1

@Mehran Khan

So after we create a case at this URL: { {protocol}}{ {gateway-host}}{ {gateway-url}}cases/screeningRequest

With this request (Can be any other company name):

{ "groupId": "{ {group-id}}", "entityType": "ORGANISATION", "providerTypes": [ "WATCHLIST", "MEDIA_CHECK" ], "nameTransposition": false, "name": "Amazon", "secondaryFields": [], "customFields": []}

We get a 200 response back with the caseSystemId.

However whenever we try to get the results (at this URL: { {protocol}}{ {gateway-host}}{ {gateway-url}}cases/{ {case-system-id}}/mediacheck/results) of the articles it intermittently gets a 200 with the results and other times a 500 Internal server error (as shown below in the screenshot). We use the request for the above URL:

screen-shot-2021-10-14-at-110448-am.png{ "pagination": { "itemsPerPage": 25, "sort": "NEW_TO_OLD" }}

This has been happening since the 13th of October 2021. This has also happened in the past a few months, but not last this long.

1. I did not find a pattern to this issue.

2. This happens for any case doesn't matter the name we are looking up in media check. It's only failing when we are trying to get the results from the case creation

3. I would say 50% of the time it's failing and other 50% it's passing.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1.3k 4 1 2

@meneely

Thank you so much for providing the details, let me look into this in detail, try and replicate this issue and get back to you with my analysis.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 1 1

@Mehran Khan

I just verified this issue also happened in production as well on Friday 15th October 2021. 500 Internal Server Error. Please let me know as soon as possible.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1.4k 5 2 2

Hi @meneely

Thanks for reaching out to us!

We would like to let you know that we are currently working on this concern, will get back to you shortly with our analysis.

Thanks
Vivek

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 1 1

@Mehran Khan

Thank you for getting back to me. Ok let me test this suggestion out and check if it works for us.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.