question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 1 1 3

Excel COM Add-in

Hi all,

hope someone have had the same problem and managed to solve it

I have set the COM add in to load at start up as following: File --> Options --> Add-ins --> Manage COM add-ins --> GO --> checked the box for the relevant Add-in --> Load Behaviour --> At Startup.

So far so good. I can close Excel, reopen it and the Add-in loads properly.

The strange behaviour happens when I open excel as an object via a VBA script running under Access. After Excel is opened as an object via a VBA script the COM add-in gets dropped. After Access has finished running the VBA script if I open Excel the COM add-in do not get loaded. If I go to File --> Options --> Add-ins --> Manage COM add-ins --> GO --> I can see the box for the COM add-in is unchecked despite was checked before.

Is there a way to avoid Excel dropping the COM Add-in when opened as an object? Or not to uncheck the COM Add in box so that if Excel is launched manually the COM Add-in will still be available?

This a strange and quite annoying behaviour as I use the COM add-in to download data and every morning I need to go back into Excel and load again the COM add-in.

Note that when Excel opens as an object via VBA I do not require to download any data. I just would love to have Excel not dropping the add in if opened manually after it has been opened and run as an object

Thanks for your help

eikon-com-apiexcel
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

<AHS>

Emailed Larprattanakul, Adipat (Lek) <Adipat.Larprattanakul@lseg.com>; Davant, Olivier <Olivier.Davant@lseg.com>

hi @fabio.agostini

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @fabio.agostini ,

This is not a situation that dev forums are most helpful for, the dev forums are most beneficial for general questions and discussions centered around Refinitiv APIs.

We have worked to verify the issue on ours side:

• We have confirmed with our product expert, that what you describe is not a supported workflow.
  • They have verified that when they open an Excel object from Word, Refinitiv add-in is loaded correctly
  • I have gone through the same simple Insert linked Excel object into Word - Refinitiv add-on remains loaded (please note that I am not an Eikon COM expert)
  • Decided to go one step further, and test specifically loading Excel via VBA: on my side, Excel starts up via this VBA code, my Excel workbook does not load as I would expect it, however Refiniv COM add-in remains loaded as expected, this does not interfere with the COM add-in.

Some suggestions:

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.