question

Upvotes
Accepted
43 7 13 12

Data reception synchronization from 2 different consumers

Hi, we are designing a system that will have to forward to kafka some real time data received via the EMA API.

For resiliency issues we need to have 2 instances of this gateway running, one primary and one secondary that should be activated in case of fault of the primary one, both connected to the refinitiv stream.

The question is: in the event of a primary fault, if we want the secondary to resume forwarding data EXACTLY where the primary stopped forwarding, without loss of messages and without duplication, what's the best way to do it (if possible)? Are there any mechanisms in the API that can help us?

#technologyresilience
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @cdefusco

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@cdefusco

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
22.2k 59 14 21

Hi @cdefusco,

You are referring to the hot-standby feature as described in this article. Unfortunately, the API stack itself does not provide any cues to synchronize data, and you will have to search and use data markers in the asset class of interests. For. e.g. you can use sequence numbers to synchronize, which is sent out with most L1 streams etc. This is completely in the user's application code.

If you want to use the failover feature in the SDK, then take a look at the Warm-Standby option.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
43 7 13 12

Hi @Gurpreet, this article seems to refer to the resiliency implemented by the API in case of fault of the refinitiv servers. I'm talking about a fault in our application, where we have 2 clients connected to refinitiv.

I need to know what I can use to ensure that in the event of a failure of our primary (which forwards the subscribed data to kafka), our secondary can resume forwarding data from where the primary left off. But they are 2 different clients, on different machines, and with the assumption that there was no fault on the refinitiv side.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
79.4k 253 52 74

@cdefusco

The API doesn't provide any capabilities to synchronize data among instances.

The application itself needs to handle this. As mentioned by my colleague, you may use sequence numbers in the retrieved messages to synchronize data.

For example, the secondary needs to cache all messages retrieved from the server. The secondary also needs to retrieve all messages published by the primary. Then, the secondary removes messages from its cache after retrieving the messages with the same sequence numbers from the primary. When the secondary can detect that the primary is down, it can continue to publish data from its cache.

However, I suggest you contact our Solution team via your Refintiv account team to discuss the design and implementation.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
43 7 13 12

Hi @Jirapongse , thanks for the reply, we were already evaluating the use of sequence numbers for this purpose, is there an exhaustive guide on SeqNum field logic? Something which clarifies details such as if it is a global or independent value (for each item?), if it is strictly incremental, etc.

icon clock
10 |1500

@cdefusco

This is the definition of SeqNum in the API document.

Specifies a user-defined sequence number, which can range in value from 0 to 4,294,967,295. To help with temporal ordering, SeqNum should increase across messages, but can have gaps depending on the sequencing algorithm in use. Details about sequence number use should be defined within the domain model specification or any documentation for products which require the use of SeqNum

This SeqNum is generated by the data feed so please contact the data feed support team directly via MyRefinitiv to verify how the data feed generates this SeqNum field.

Upvotes
43 7 13 12

Hi, thanks for your reply, I have just another question always inherent to having two consumers on different machines with EMA. Is it possible to have the same user connected (registered to the same service) from different processes at the same time? or would I have errors while building the consumer or registering the client in the second process?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
22.2k 59 14 21

Hi @cdefusco,

You can use the same DACS user ID to connect from two different processes. Your market data administrator can configure to allow for this.

However, if you are connecting to RTO service in the cloud, then it is recommended that each application should have its own unique machine ID.

PS: Its better to ask a new question in a new post. It helps us keep track of the answers.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
43 7 13 12

Hi @Gurpreet, thanks, sorry if I continue here but we have already started the topic.

Would it therefore also be possible to configure the user to prevent the connection from 2 different processes? In order to be sure that at any given moment the user can only be logged in from one of the two machines?

icon clock
10 |1500

Yes, your market data administrator can limit the DACS maximum mounts per user in the RTDS configuration.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.