Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 1

Filter for companies with Carbon (CO2) emissions.

I wish to filter for U.S. companies with accessible CO2 emissions data. I have implemented this in the screener by establishing filters for, for instance, 5 and 10 years (filtering for GHG Scope 1 emissions > 0). Is there a method to filter for companies that possess emission data spanning the last 10 years (including those with values for the entire decade, as well as those with data available for less than 10 years)?

Is there also a way to obtain the data based on fiscal years beyond 2022, instead of FY 0?

thank you very much for the support

#contentscreeningesgfilter
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@quirin.braml

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in answering your question?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvote
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

@quirin.braml thanks for your question. So I think one way of achieving this is to use a screener query to get a current universe and then go back in time to see what data is available. Also there are concepts such as Scope 1, Scope 2 and Scope 3 Emissions.

import refinitiv.data as rd
import numpy as 
import pandas as pd
rd.open_session()

Create a screener query for Americas:

df2 = rd.get_data(["SCREEN(U(IN(Equity(active,public,primary))/*UNV:Public*/), TR.HasESGCoverage==true, IN(TR.HeadquartersRegion,""Americas""), CURN=USD)"],["TR.CommonName;TR.HasESGCoverage;TR.HeadquartersRegion"])

Define a chunking function - so we remain compliant with API per call limits:

def chunks(l, n):
    for i in range(0,len(l),n):
        yield l[i:i+n]

Create routine to loop through our chunks to get the data we need - i included some CO2 energy intensity calcs:

CEI = Employee Productivity * Energy Intensity * CO2 Intensity

rics1 = list(chunks(list(df2['Instrument'].values),1000))
rics1
maindf= pd.DataFrame()

for ric in rics1:
    df3 = rd.get_data('0#.SPX',['TR.TRBCEconomicSector','TR.F.SalesPerEmp(Period=FY0)','TR.AnalyticEnergyUse(Period=FY0)','TR.CO2EmissionTotal(Period=FY0)','TR.CO2IndirectScope3(Period=FY0)','TR.EnergyUseTotal(Period=FY0)'])

df3.columns = ['Instrument','Sector','Revenue/Employee','EnergyUse/Revenue','CO2Emissions','CO2EmissionsScope3','EnergyUse']

df3['CO2Emissions/EnergyUse'] = df3['CO2Emissions'] / df3['EnergyUse']
    df3['CO2Scope12/EnergyUse'] = df3['CO2Emissions'] / df3['EnergyUse']
    df3['CO2Scope123/EnergyUse'] = (df3['CO2Emissions'] + df3['CO2EmissionsScope3']) / df3['EnergyUse']
    df3['CEIScope12'] = df3['Revenue/Employee'] * df3['EnergyUse/Revenue'] * df3['CO2Emissions/EnergyUse']
    df3['CEIScope123'] = d3['Revenue/Employee'] * df3['EnergyUse/Revenue'] * df3['CO2Scope123/EnergyUse']
    if len(df3):
            maindf = pd.concat([maindf, df3], axis=0)

maindf

1700654048466.png

You can then aggregate by sector and plot for example. I hope this can help.

1700654048466.png (79.6 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.