question

Upvotes
Accepted
24 7 9 14

Does ETA API use secure connection ?

I use ETA C API in Linux to connect to ADS via internet. Does it use a secure connection ? If not, how do I enable it ?

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkrrteta-apielektron-transport-apissl
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The preferred way to connect an application over the internet to a hosted TR data center is by using the Elektron Connect(i.e via the EZD).

There is no programmatic logic within the API as of yet to avoid the use of the EZD. The EZD does a few things really. As such, no need to bother with tunnel streams, http tunneling setup, etc.... These things are.

1) It enables SSL encryption over the internet

2) It allows specification of TR credentials via a mapping file from the applications existing user name.

3) It supports http tunneling through local proxies.

Upvotes
Accepted
361 1 4 3

Hi,

Want to clear up some possible confusion -- some of the answers appear to refer to TunnelStreams, which is a feature based on private streams and concerns endpoint-to-endpoint communication.

The question appears to be about HTTP tunneling connections which are described here. See here for information on the connection types (specifically the HTTP and ENCRYPTED types). The Reactor is not required for HTTP connections (but can open them via the same connection types).

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @RAJ,

If you are using tunneling to connect to ADS, please refer to ETA Developer Guide, section

Tunneling on how to use HTTPS and encrypted connection.

If you are using Elekton Connect, connecting via EZD, to communicate to the hosted infrastrcuture upsteam, then EZD communication over the internet is secure, encrypted, and no action is required. The complete details can be found on Customer Zone EZD Installation Guide.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 7 9 14

I'm using a ETA C API in Linux. The following link says that it can be done only using ETA Reactor and EMA API.

https://docs-developers.thomsonreuters.com/1512760538247/16304/Docs/WebDocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=API_Concepts/Chap_Consumers_Providers.3.16.html

I would like to implement this using ETA C API (not value add). Is there a code snippet you can share with me that demonstrates how to do this ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Tunneling requires using ETA Reactor:

Opening a Tunnel Stream Code Sample

Would it be helpful to mention that Elektron C SDK includes the implementation of Reactor if you wish to examine it (Impl->Reactor->TunnelStream)? It's also possible to modify the included implementation for your use if you wish, the only caveat being that modified versions will not be eligible for support by Thomson Reuters..

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 7 9 14

My application is built on top of the ETA C API (not value add). I was told in the beginning of my development that the raw ETA C API doesn't miss any functionality that is available in the value add version (reactor).

What are my options if I need to change the client application that intends to make a secure connection to ADS using the ETA C API without the reactor ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @RAJ,

Yes.

Your best bet to implement this semantics on your own, as well as your working example, if the implementation you will find within the Reactor code within SDK (please see my previous answer). This is a time-consuming, involved effort, but the code of the Reactor is available to you, and you have the options to review, modify, and re-implement any part of it.

Please be informed, that modified/re-implemented VA will not be eligible for Thomson Reuters API support.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 7 9 14

I looked at the code in Impl->Reactor->TunnelStream under Elektron C SDK. It looks to me that tunneling cannot be used with out the reactor even if I choose to customize my non-value add usage with tunneling.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @RAJ,

Not fully sure if I understand the last question, think I do.

Yes, tunneling as implemented and available, is used as part of Reactor framework. As is it can not be used without it.

Yes, it would be an extensive design and effort to implement it on your own, on top of ETA.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 7 9 14

I heard from my technical contact in Reuters that HTTP tunneling is available only in windows platform and not in Linux. Can you clarify ?

Also, I'm just a consumer of ADS and not a provider.

icon clock
10 |1500

Yes, it is correct. According to information from the ETA C developers guide:

http.png (24.3 KiB)
Upvotes
24 7 9 14

Hi @jim.carroll,

In the recent post, jirapongse.phuriphanvicha confirmed that HTTP and HTTPS tunneling is available only on Windows and not on Linux.

My original question was to make a secure connection using an ETA C API in Linux to the ADS system hosted by Reuters via internet.

My final takeaway here is that it can accomplished only by using Elektron Connect (via the EZD).

Is that correct ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 19

Hello @RAJ,

As you are intending to connect securely over the internet, Elektron Connect may be the appropriate option for you.

However, reading back through the discussion that has resulted, it seems that your organization may be in the process of selecting/migrating/upgrading your TR infrastructure/ connectivity.

If this is the case, the best decision on infrastructure and connectivity is not only driven by API, and I would recommend to setup a discussion with your account management team. Performance requirements, sizing, cost, maintenance, convenience, all are important considerations, and we would like your organization to be fully informed and to converge on the best decision for you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.