Was getting familiar with TR services for quite sometime and was confused in regards of a few offered services, essentially they seem to overlap and doing somewhat similar tasks.
1) What is the difference between Eikon and Electron Data platform? Both of them seem to be performing a similar task, e.g providing news/data/analytics/ etc.
2) TRKD, also seems to be like a service combining Eikon and Electron?. Its my guess, all of them offer news, analytical data. What the distinction between them?
3) TREP. Is it the same like (1) and (2) but the main usage of this API would be the distribution in corporate environment?
4) Velocity analysis. Couldnt get into documentation, but the main question how does it work? Or how do you get started with it?
5) What is the preferred language when working with TR API's? i've notcied it heavily supports .NET and Java but not much for JS
To conclude this post just want to ask a few extra question from non-technical stream.
6) Are TR API's free to use?
7) Lets say i develop an application by using your services. Will i be allowed to charge a fee for my app? What legal implication i need to be mindful of?
Im new to this forum but hoping to learn much more about TR services in the future and hopefully develop something decent with it. Sorry if my questions seem a bit off, but I just couldnt figure out the answers to these questions on my own, so thought should ask it here.
1. Eikon is an end user product. Eikon customer is licenced to utilize any data retrieved from Eikon for user's individual use only. Eikon provides access to a wide variety of Thomson Reuters data assets including streaming market data, news, fundamental and reference data etc. etc. Elektron is the platform currently used primarily for distributing streaming market data. It provides streaming market data to Eikon and it can also be accessed through a number of enterprise datafeed products, which allow clients to consume streaming market data in enterprise applications. You can think of Eikon as a market data terminal and of Elektron as a datafeed providing streaming market data.
2. TRKD is a service providing access to a wide variety of Thomson Reuters data assets primarily for use in Web portals. This service may come with a license to redistribute Thomson Reuters data externally, i.e. to users outside of the client's organization.
3. TREP is a set of middleware components providing capabilities to manage the distribution of streaming market data within client's organization.
5. TR provides a variety of products for numerous use cases. There's no one preferred language. The choice of language depends on a number of factors the most important one being the use case. For many use cases we offer APIs in multiple languages. Where appropriate we also offer a number of language agnostic REST and Websockets APIs.
6. Most TR APIs are tied to a subscription product. The APIs are free, but in order to retrieve data using these APIs you need to subscribe to a service, which is not free.
7. Thomson Reuters is a platform company. We strongly believe in and encourage partnerships. Please visit our Partner Marketplace for more details.