Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
24 1 2 3

No data events from RIC XAU= and XAU=ALL

I've tried to subscribe using a C# program for 'XAU=' or 'XAU=ALL'. No data was returned from server. If I subscribe to currency such as HKDSGD=R, there were data streaming in.

I'm curious why XAU= or XAU=ALL doesn't work.

The fields I subscribed to were ("BID", "ASK", "CTBTR_1", "CTB_LOC1", "BCKGRNDPAG", "DSPLY_NAME", "TIMACT")

In fact my setup is a Thompson Reuters Hosted mode. The C# program interacts with the Eikon desktop software.

ANy clue of why this happens may help a lot. Did I miss out anything?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-api.net
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@cewong

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. If you have an answer, please share your answer, and then accept it. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@cewong

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. If you have an answer, please share your answer, and then accept it. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Hello @cewong,

Please be informed, that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question as of this time, and has been marked as such, to save the time for other developers with similar questions, as well as to remove it from AHS moderation.

Thanks,

-AHS

Hi Zoya,

I have not really found a solution as the workaround is not entirely applicable. For instance the XAUSGD=R will cross every price from any Contributors which can vary drastically especially between London and Swiss and banks.

However with XAU=, at least this RiC has a field which I can put a condition to filter selected Contributors price will be consume.

Is there a way I can subscribe an a derived RiC and specify only specific contributors price source event forward to me?

If only I can get XAU= to work with .NET API. Anyone else from Refinitiv be able to simulate this problem I'm facing?

Appreciate your kind feedback.

You cannot filter updates by contributor for Refinitiv calculated RICs such as XAUSGD=R, as all updates will have the same contributor: Reuters. I'm totally baffled by the behavior you describe, and needless to say that I cannot reproduce it. Quote app in Eikon and Eikon .NET API use the same data retrieval mechanism. If you're able to view the RIC in a Quote app you should be able to retrieve it in your application. The fact that you only experience the problem with a couple of RICs makes no sense either. It would however be interesting to see if you can retrieve the data for other precious metals: XAG=, XPT=. It would also be interesting to enable logging and see if streaming data is being retrieved by Eikon when you start the subscription in your application.
Since this issue must be either machine or user account specific, it's not practical to troubleshoot it on this forum. You may want to open a ticket with Refinitiv Helpdesk, which you can reach by either calling the Helpdesk number in your country or by using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application. The Helpdesk can help you create and analyze Eikon logs.

Show more comments
Upvotes
Accepted
24 1 2 3

Hi @Alex Putkov. I have not resolve this issue. Only worked around it. My workaround is not a solution but for temporary measure until I could spend a bit more time on this matter.

I could subscribe and rates with XAUMYR=R

Then I reconvert it back to USD/oz with MYR= rates.

Is not accurate but I'm still preplexed by the cause of getting XAU= rates via C# .API

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@cewong Assuming you are using .NET Data API, I would suggest subscribing to OnStatusChange and OnError events to determine why do you not get XAU=:

private void Subscribe()
{
    var realtime = DataServices.Instance.Realtime;

_subscription = realtime.SetupDataSubscription()
            .WithRics(“EUR=“, “GBP=“)
            .WithFields(“BID”, “ASK”)
            .OnDataUpdated(DataReceivedCallback)
            .OnStatusUpdated(StatusUpdatesCallback) 
            .OnError(ErrorCallback) //error call back
            .CreateAndStart();
}

Here is the list of statuses for your reference.

icon clock
10 |1500

In addition to the response by @Zhenya Kovalyov, it's worth checking if you can display these RICs in a Quote app in Eikon.

Upvotes
24 1 2 3

Ok. I'll try that. Will update progress after. Thank you.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 1 2 3

@Zhenya Kovalyov - I made the addition as per your suggestion. The response I got for both SetupDataRequest & SetupDataSubscription was 'Ok'.

Code snippet looks like this,

@Alex Putkov. - Yes I get data update Quote App but not from the .NET API. This anomaly occurs only for XAU= and XAU=ALL. If I subscribe to currency such as EUR or AUD, there are data.

Note: Ignore the Elapsed Event heartbeat.

eikon-issue-3-1.jpg (71.6 KiB)
eikon-issue-3-3.jpg (202.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@cewong if you are using the standard example, please make sure that DataReceived looks at the correct keys in the update event:

private void DataReceivedCallback(IRealtimeUpdateDictionary updates)

{

if (updates.ContainsKey("XAU="))
            {
                if (updates["XAU="].ContainsKey("BID"))
                {
                    Console.WriteLine("XAU=(BID) {0}", updates["XAU="]["BID"].Value.ToString());
                    subscription.Stop();
                    Program.StopMessagePump();

}

}

}

Might that be the case?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 1 2 3

@Zhenya Kovalyov yes, in fact, my code just display any keys subscribed. As long as there is an event from EIkon's service, I should be able to show. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

eikon-issue-3-4.jpg (44.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

@cewong
Were you able to resolve the issue? I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions. The fact that the issue is only happening for a couple of RICs and that you can view these RICs in a Quote app in Eikon makes no sense to me. If indeed you found the root cause of the problem, I'd very much appreciate you sharing it on this thread.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24 1 2 3

Hi @Alex Putkov. & @Zhenya Kovalyov

An update. I noticed for RIC XAU= is from Commodity but XAUSGD=R is from FX.

1) Is there a difference in subscribing via .NET API for commodity versus Foreign Exchange (FX)?

2) How do I check if my subscription has access via API to Commodity RIC?

Thanks.

xaucash.jpg (17.1 KiB)
xausgdr.jpg (15.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

@cewong

1. Not really

2. If you do not have access to a ric, it will return a NotPermission error

Is the XAUSGD=R (Thompson Reuters Calculated) rates derived from XAU= (cash spot) x SGD= (local intrabank fx) ?

Another example for rates from XAUEUR=R is from cross of XAU= & EUR=?

@cewong yes, =R usually means 'derived calculation'.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.