Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvote
Accepted
16 1 1 3

Retrieve historical top market cap

Hello,

For a research projet, I would like to extract the top 10 market cap by country over a 20 year period. It's easy with the stock screener to extract this for the year 2019, but I didn't find any solution to retrieve historical data.

For now, I extract all data for an index (for example S&P500), including leavers and joiners, and I download all the market cap for all the constituents, and then sort by market cap. Is there a better way of doing that ?

With the API (Python) or with the Excel add-in.

Best regards,
Thomas

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apitime-series
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @t.renault

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@t.renault, please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such. Thanks, AHS

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

I cannot think of a better way of doing this. I think the method you devised is as good as it gets.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.